Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Chassis battery issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Chassis battery issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kemer

mn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2014 Winnebago sightseer. During the summer I have it parked at my cabin and plugged into 50amp shore power 24x7. After being gone for a couple weeks, I came back up and my chassis battery level basically drained(It's less than a year old). I know that if I store it, I need to switch the coach and chassis batteries off. But I thought as long as I was plugged into shore power, the chassis should keep a charge. The coach battery is normal. I was hoping to start the unit using the battery boost switch and charge the chassis battery, but that wouldn't work either. SUGGESTIONS appreciated....

THANKS

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

add a trik-l-start. problem solved. http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 for Trik-L-Start

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manual doesn't mention that the chassis battery would be charged from the converter.

skiatom

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I looked at the charger you recommended. Seems to me that you could purchase a less expensive one at any parts store. Or, just run a wire from the positive post of the house battery to the positive post on the chassis battery and let your house battery charger recharge both.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running a wire between the batteries also means that house loads when not on shore power will depelete the chassis battery, which undoes one of the primary reasons for having two batteries. Having one with a switch (and appropriate current limiting/overcurrent protection) would be okay if you always remembered to operate the switch properly.

The battery tenders/trickle chargers you get at parts stores are different in that they are AC powered rather than DC, and I think at least some tend to discharge the battery if they are connected to the battery but not to AC power. The really nice thing about the Trik-L-Start, besides being a reliable, well-built device, is that it always just works without needing any additional effort on your part. It also has the advantage of working properly if the house battery is being charged by solar rather than by shore power, under which conditions a plug-in battery tender would not be so useful.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skiatom wrote:

Well, I looked at the charger you recommended. Seems to me that you could purchase a less expensive one at any parts store. Or, just run a wire from the positive post of the house battery to the positive post on the chassis battery and let your house battery charger recharge both.
Yes that is correct.

The Trik-L-Start combines and separates the batteries automatically in all conditions with any charging source to the house battery including generator or solar.

The wire does not and needs a fuse unless sized the same as largest existing connection. Put this on your list to connect or disconnect as needed.

The separate on board maintenance charger could be plugged into the RV 120v system to always charge when plugged in. Otherwise add it to your list to plug in as needed.

skiatom

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kemer wrote:

I have a 2014 Winnebago sightseer. During the summer I have it parked at my cabin and plugged into 50amp shore power 24x7. After being gone for a couple weeks, I came back up and my chassis battery level basically drained(It's less than a year old). I know that if I store it, I need to switch the coach and chassis batteries off. But I thought as long as I was plugged into shore power, the chassis should keep a charge. The coach battery is normal. I was hoping to start the unit using the battery boost switch and charge the chassis battery, but that wouldn't work either. SUGGESTIONS appreciated....

THANKS

You got it backwards
The converter charges the COACH battery.. now on a 2014 it should alo charge the CHASSIS but.. with the coach batteries off. it might not.

Your voltmeter is your friend. Use it to measure voltage AT THE BATTERY TERMINALS

After 2 hours without charging 12.x is good. the .x determines the state of charge (Without double checking I think .6 is full)

With the converter connected and charging 13.x is common.. NOTE depending on your converter it may go up and down so try mulitple readings over say a 30 minute period...

Also. WHAT is the converter model. in some Rigs this is the power center model In others. the converter is a in a different place (Mine is)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnect Switch

My coach doesn't charge the engine battery either.

A simple disconnect switch will cure the problem.

My coach already came with a built in engine disconnect switch but that one, or a similar one with different post connectors, will do the trick.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Chassis battery issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.