Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: F250 Payload Capacity
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> F250 Payload Capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
YellowLightning

Down da Bayou

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

YellowLightning wrote:

Are there any others out there who have an F250 like what I am looking at buying and haul a similar camper to what I am looking at?

Did I mess where you posted the weight of your camper?

No you didn't miss it, I didn't know the weight of the camper and couldn't find any specs on it online. I am now looking at a 1999 Lance 820 @2421lbs dry. It needs work and the plan is to strip it down and make it as light as possible. My wife and I like the size of this camper for us and our dogs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ If your preference is gutting out a camper to lighten the load, for a good reason, like off-roading or not enough truck to haul it, it makes sense.
Otherwise, it doesn't compute that one would buy a "full featured" camper, IE: running water full bath, fridge, furnace, AC, good storage, etc and then tear it apart.

Remember, the biggest effect it will have on mileage is due to wind resistance, not weight. 2 tons of dirt in a truck bed won't reduce mileage near as much as 1 ton of high profile camper.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YellowLightning wrote:

No you didn't miss it, I didn't know the weight of the camper and couldn't find any specs on it online. I am now looking at a 1999 Lance 820 @2421lbs dry. It needs work and the plan is to strip it down and make it as light as possible. My wife and I like the size of this camper for us and our dogs.

Sounds like that F-250 you were looking at would be perfect for this one.

My first camper ended up having structural damage due to leaks that caused a lot of wood rot, way more than I had any interest in fixing myself.

My current camper was structurally sound and I could not detect that there had ever been any water intrusion anywhere.

[image]

[image]upload photos online

Before

[image]

[image]

After

I installed a new generator, all new window coverings, new floor, all new vents, including two new Fantastic vents, all new bedding and lots of other misc stuff.

I'm in to it way more than I could ever sell it for but I have no plans of ever selling it. [emoticon]

Its been fun and I have exactly what I wanted.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yellowlightning look at Specta's signature... His weight!
You can not go by the sticker weight. Sticker weight is without a fridge, water heater, stove, water, mattress and on and on!

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.

His weight is 10,500+ just like several of us. My weight is 10,400 too!

My Bigfoot camper's sticker says 2,600! Fully loaded it is 4,200.

Not sure what Specta is running for tires and rims.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think its safe to add another 1000 lbs to what ever the manufactures sticker weight is.

The factory brochure says it weights 2826 lbs.

Loaded ready for camping including 40 gallons FW, full propane tanks, food, clothing, utensils and everything else it weighed 3960 lbs.

It gained 1134 lbs. That includes optional equipment, AC, micro-wave, electric jacks and the Onan generator.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootford wrote:

Jim

Good tires. [emoticon]

I took a different route than most when I picked my camper and tires. I didn't seek opinions on the internet.

I bought exact truck I wanted with the sole purpose of carrying a truck camper.

I talked with a close friend who was a Lance distributor for over 40 years before I bought my current camper. I did my walk thru with him on the phone.

Over the years he spent a lot of time with both Ford and Lance engineers discussing and planning trucks and campers.

He is very familiar with my truck and its capabilities.

I have another close friend that has been in the tire business for close to 40 years. I called looking for a set of 18" take-off and new tires.

I ended up keeping my 17" factory wheels and he told me that the tires I chose would serve me well.

I replaced the OE shocks and added air bags after I bought this camper.

I'm quite pleased with how it handles and I have zero worries about it being slightly over weight.

The manufactures "safety margins" exceed my weights.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

bigfootford wrote:

Jim

Good tires. [emoticon]

I took a different route than most when I picked my camper and tires. I didn't seek opinions on the internet.

I bought exact truck I wanted with the sole purpose of carrying a truck camper.

I talked with a close friend who was a Lance distributor for over 40 years before I bought my current camper. I did my walk thru with him on the phone.

Over the years he spent a lot of time with both Ford and Lance engineers discussing and planning trucks and campers.

He is very familiar with my truck and its capabilities.

I have another close friend that has been in the tire business for close to 40 years. I called looking for a set of 18" take-off and new tires.

I ended up keeping my 17" factory wheels and he told me that the tires I chose would serve me well.

I replaced the OE shocks and added air bags after I bought this camper.

I'm quite pleased with how it handles and I have zero worries about it being slightly over weight.

The manufactures "safety margins" exceed my weights.

The 17" tires/rims are great. Think the weight capacity of each is 3700lbs. So you have 7400lb capacity on the rear. If you were to weigh the rear axle weight fully loaded you would be just under that weight which is great. I too got the airlift bags with a onboard compressor which is very nice! Stock Ford f250 tires were 3014lbs each. I actually ran them for about 50,000 miles with my camper on fully loaded. That was pushing the capacity of the tires on the rear. Think it was about 200lbs each.. No cheap tires.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootford wrote:

Yellowlightning look at Specta's signature... His weight!
You can not go by the sticker weight. Sticker weight is without a fridge, water heater, stove, water, mattress and on and on!

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.

His weight is 10,500+ just like several of us. My weight is 10,400 too!

My Bigfoot camper's sticker says 2,600! Fully loaded it is 4,200.

Jim

Not, it has everything but battery(s), water, & propane. Why would they give the weight minus equipment? That's nuts. Added weights what you put in.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootford wrote:

The 17" tires/rims are great. Think the weight capacity of each is 3700lbs.

Numbers can be funny.
My tires are load range E tires, 3195 @ 80 psi.
The rear GVW rating for my truck is 6200 lbs.
With the camper fully loaded each rear tire is overloaded by 380 lbs.
Yet going by the max recommend payload of 3380 lbs including passengers I'm only 576 lbs over what they say is max payload.
Going by the trucks 9500 GVW I'm 1040 lbs over.

My truck empty with me inside and 1/2 tank of gas weighs 6580 lbs.
Without me in the truck it weighs 6400 lbs.
Add their max payload of 3384 and that brings the trucks total weight to 9784 lbs with only 1/2 tank of gas.

So using their own numbers they are telling me that the truck fully loaded can weigh 284 lbs over their GVW of 9500 lbs.

So, in all reality going by their numbers I'm really only over by 746 lbs and not the 1040.

LOL [emoticon]

The weight in the brochures includes everything except liquids and options.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t doubt your tires haul it fine, and don’t understand why 17s got de rated from what they used to be, probably just as strong, but If you’re after rated tire capacity 17s are horrible. 18s or 20s are good for about 500lbs more per tire in stock sizes and 800lbs more in 35-35” tires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> F250 Payload Capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.