Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: Batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliffy49 wrote:

RickLight wrote:

Nothing wrong with those.

But if you're thinking of a short term or temporary solution there might be better choices. Golf cart batteries are good at charge cycling. They do far better than standard lead acid being deeply drained. They often come in high capacity too.

For a single trip, total amp hours is what you need. For my first long trip I got some cheap Walmart 'deep cycle'. Under $100 each! Granted I abused them and killed them in a season. I did that because like you I wasn't ready to spend big bucks on a long term kit. After that I was ready and just finished a lithium conversion. It's all in knowing your goals!

In this case, would I be better off getting two new Interstates and wire them to double the amp hours?

No, you would not be better off. The two Duracell give you more amp hours and have a longer life span than the Interstate 24's.

cliffy49

Blue Grass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

cliffy49 wrote:

In this case, would I be better off getting two new Interstates and wire them to double the amp hours?

Depending on your goals, yes. Cheaper batteries won't last as many years, but they will last as many hours as similarly rated ones. What will you do after this trip?

I wouldn't dream of going to Quartzite without a generator or lots of solar. Remember that lead acid batteries take hours to charge. Without a generator you would have to drive somewhere and spend time to get charged.

Actually we are not sure what we will do after this trip. As I said, this will be our first try at boondocking so we are not real sure we will like it. I would not have a problem but the wife may be more comfortable with all the comforts. That is why we will be taking the 3100Champion genny.

This is also why I don't want to go out and spend a whole lot if I am not sure we will be doing more of this. Got to admit, I don't think there are a lot of boondocking opportunities in central Ky.

cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are taking the genny as backup, it may not matter so long as you are comfortable with running it for hours a day.
If you want to try more boondocking I would go with the pair of GC-2's. More usable amp hours than a pair of group 24 rv/marine batteries (almost double) and you can expect a longer life since you wont be running them as hard compared to their ability.
You may find that you wont be using the genny any more than every other or every third day with the added battery capability.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Champion generator will do you great service. A 100-200w solar system is perfect for Quartzite. You'll need a lot of water too....but there are delivery trucks out there for that. Have fun there.

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to beat $75 for 100AH

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-24DC/180350522

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliffy49 wrote:

Wife and I are thinking about spending a couple of days at Quartzite this Jan and were going to try spending it in the desert. I know the battery that have now is not really the best for this(Interstate 24 SRM Marine/RV) so I was thinking about two of these;

[image]

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc110

Would the work for a first attempt at boondocking. I don't really don't want to spend the money on a Trojan battery or something even more expensive since this is our first try at this.

Thanks for all your feedback.

6 volt batteries are good, with more amp hours than most run of the mill 12 volt RV batteries. But you still have to manage your power usage as they will run out of power surprisingly fast if you don't.

As said above if you have access to a Sams club or Costco, or have a friend with access you can save a bit of money.

Sams
Costco

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

Depending on your goals, yes. Cheaper batteries won't last as many years, but they will last as many hours as similarly rated ones.

A pair of golf cart batteries will likely cost less than a pair of Group 24, dual purpose Marine/RV batteries and will store more energy.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To make the generator effective you also need to review the charging system. Some are excellent and others just trickle charge at 13.6 volts. Please post the converter model number for best suggestions.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

Hard to beat $75 for 100AH

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-24DC/180350522
Realistically closer to 80 AH for a group 24 or 160 AH for the pair.

The pair of GC2 is 215 AH or 34% more capacity.

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And 50% (or better) the price. I've seen the Trojans go for $400+ each, though $300 is more common.

For long term boondocking total capacity is a marginal issue. The genny picks up after the first draining, 3-5 days. Then it is just how long vs how often the genny runs.

At $75 each another battery will give you even greater capacity and still cost less. So as I first said, it comes down to your goals. Do you want to spend the cash now for battery life in 5+ years that you might not ever use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.