Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Improving Fridge Cooling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Improving Fridge Cooling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV fridges I’ve seen with a factory installed fan inside them has been at the very top, with the air blowing towards the fins. The one I’m thinking of was in a Norcold fridge, and it looked like a centrifugal fan laying flat against the top of the reefer compartment. It was inside a plenum box that directed the air across the width of the fins.

I made one for my fridge with a small 12v fan that was in my junk pile. I used it because it’s small, and it’s the right voltage. I tapped into the power going to the interior light, and it runs full time when the fridge is turned on.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

...The Interior refer relies on Convection air to flow from the bottom of the refer box UP the back wall and THRU the Evap fins and that removes the heat as the fins are 10 degrees colder than the interior temp...

The part quoted doesn't sound quite right. I'm not being argumentative but cold air falls. Seems to me that cold air would go down the rear wall.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pulpwood007

Hemphill, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

The RV fridges I’ve seen with a factory installed fan inside them has been at the very top, with the air blowing towards the fins. The one I’m thinking of was in a Norcold fridge, and it looked like a centrifugal fan laying flat against the top of the reefer compartment. It was inside a plenum box that directed the air across the width of the fins.

I made one for my fridge with a small 12v fan that was in my junk pile. I used it because it’s small, and it’s the right voltage. I tapped into the power going to the interior light, and it runs full time when the fridge is turned on.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Since you are using the interior fridge light as a 12vdc power source I assume the light does not go off when the fridge door is closed?

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, the light still turns on and off. I tapped the power before it goes to the switch.

I wouldn’t want the light to stay on all the time.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

...The Interior refer relies on Convection air to flow from the bottom of the refer box UP the back wall and THRU the Evap fins and that removes the heat as the fins are 10 degrees colder than the interior temp...

The part quoted doesn't sound quite right. I'm not being argumentative but cold air falls. Seems to me that cold air would go down the rear wall.

Cold air does fall, but when it's falling then there is warm air rising, on the other side.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Improving Fridge Cooling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.