Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thor Four Winds 29G too good to be true?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thor Four Winds 29G too good to be true?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Cyager9110

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 03:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no experience with campers at all. I recently came across a 2016 Four Winds 29G with 26,000 miles. The guy is only asking $25,000. After looking up comparible models, this deal almost seems too good to be true. He claims to have paid $79,000 a year prior for it. What are things that I should be looking for to make sure there are no issues? I have test drove it and went over everything and other than cosmetic things here and there, it seems in great shape. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cody

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 03:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a knowledgeable Rv person with you and go have a look before it's gone. stranger things have happened.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where did you see it? I've seen ads like that on Craigslist that ended up being a scam. They are really after your email address and cell # as well as any other info they can get. NADA low retail on that MH is $41k so something is definitely fishy. There are 4 of these on RV trader, the cheapest of which is $55k. I am guessing it's a scam - typically if it's too good to be true, it's usually not. Stranger things have happened. Let us know what you find out.

Cyager9110

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an older gentleman who is starting to go blind and is just wanting to get rid of it. He took it to an RV dealer and was low balled so he decided to sell it on his own to someone for a good price to get rid of it. It is not listed anywhere just a for sale sign in his front yard so not much traffic.

Its not a scam unless there is something wrong with it that he is not telling us, but he doesn't seem to be that kind of guy. I don't really have any friends that are into camping, just mechanical people.

Are there any certain problem areas that are typical? Like rotting spots to check where water gets or lines that go bad? I don't think I can go wrong getting it, but what is the best way to learn everything about it? There doesn't seem to be any youtube videos and the manual isn't that great. I live in the middle of nowhere, so finding a dealer is a bit of a drive. Not to mention most things are still closed with the virus

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double check the title with the DMV. If clean, go for it.

If you do let us know, good stories are hard to come by.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hire a local RV tech to inspect the unit for you. Most will come out and and go through a unit for a couple hundred and you will have a much better idea of what your buying.
A local campground can help you find one if none are listed in your local phone book.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still a head scratcher. If the local dealership lowballed him, how low was it? I mean he's almost 50% of low retail selling it himself. If it's really true, then it's worth it to have a tech come inspect it. You could buy it and flip it and make a quick $10k if you didn't want to keep it.

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would drive it and look everything over. Look at the ROOF. If everything
seems in order, I would just snap it up for that kind of $$. If
you spend to much time thinking about it, someone else will be driving it.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Hire a local RV tech to inspect the unit for you. Most will come out and and go through a unit for a couple hundred and you will have a much better idea of what your buying.
A local campground can help you find one if none are listed in your local phone book.

This^^. You can also check here to look for techs:

http://rvservicereviews.com/

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Still a head scratcher. If the local dealership lowballed him, how low was it? I mean he's almost 50% of low retail selling it himself. If it's really true, then it's worth it to have a tech come inspect it. You could buy it and flip it and make a quick $10k if you didn't want to keep it.

Dealers don't want inventory. At all. That's why they are lowballing. Some dealers are selling new 2020 Class C's under $60,000. So my sister just bought one[emoticon] But that means leftover 2019s are listing under $50,000. NADA simply doesn't reflect current market conditions.

This is certainly a great deal, but I don't know that it's a guarantee to make a substantial profit flipping it. The folks with a job still and good credit can get a smoking deal on a new unit (leftover new Class A's are approaching 50% off MSRP!) and the folks who are looking for a great deal, can find even cheaper units that are 10 years old but still in great shape. RVs only a few year old, are probably a tough sell right now.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thor Four Winds 29G too good to be true?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.