Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Burbman Crosses over to the Dark Side....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Burbman Crosses over to the Dark Side....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Burb has been a trusty TV for many years but sadly she won't carry our truck camper. After launching a nationwide search I was lucky to find our new truck just a few hours away in NJ.

Wasn't looking for a diesel initially but hey, it's never too late to try something new!

This was a one-owner truck, bought, serviced, and traded in at the same dealer in NJ. 81k miles. Not a speck of rust underneath, not even surface rust on the frame. Clean Carfax, no accidents, no title issues. No signs of mods except the oversized tires and tinted windows (dealer removed tint so I could pass inspection).

So here is our new-to-us 2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box with Cummins diesel. Here is the window sticker from when it was new.

[image]

So I guess it's time to sell the Burb. They are super rare to find with the 8.1 anymore.

the BIG question is what to do about my screen name here....LOL

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats, Burbman, looks great! We’ll be moving over to a RAM 3500 DRW in the next year to two. I’ll be curious as to how you like it vs the Burb.

2002 Suburban - 8.1, 4.10
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS, 35' 6"

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s ok. After 20 years with a Burb, you can forever be Burbman.

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was a time I would have given my eye teeth for a clean 8.1 Burb. I also had a 2001 2500 Burb at the time to carry my family of 6 and pull our TT, but I had the 6.0. It did a fine job, but when daughter #5 entered the family I ended up getting a 1ton van as our TV. Regardless, once you decide to list it, prepare for the calls/emails. Like the saying goes, “they don’t make em anymore”.

Enjoy the truck!

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the Suburban was the top line LT trim, so I was looking for the Laramie trim level, if you click on the window sticker you can see all the bells & whistles you get vs the Big Horn , which is the next level down.

First off, the second row has a TON more room than the burb, that was one thing that always disappointed me about the burb. It rides great, much smoother than you would expect for a 1 ton. The diesel is smooth and quiet. Hard to judge power just driving around empty.

I'm currently re-doing the camper and hope to have it on the road by the Fall. That will be the test with that extra 3k lbs in the bed!

My buying process kinda went like this: Absolutely no Ford because of how they treat their customers. I read too much about that here through the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel issues and HPFP failures and see it first hand with DW's Explorer we are leasing. GM was very hard to buy used, it was very hard to get info about how a particular truck was optioned and configured.

I love the Ram interiors, and their online tool makes it easy to type in any VIN and see the factory window sticker. This for me was critical in seeing stuff like what transmission, whether is had upgraded or dual alternators, snow plow prep (heavier front suspension), rear axle ratio, etc etc, stuff the dealer isn't going to know about a used truck.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice truck, its even the right color! What's your payload? My used 2015 was my first Ram and first diesel. Bought it with 10K miles, have about 50K now. Trouble free, easy towing. Get between 11-13 mpg towing depending upon how loaded we are and weather conditions. Nothing like putting it in cruise control and going.

Hope your truck is as dependable and reliable as ours has been thus far! I'm hoping to sell my truck for a premium in 5 years, as it will have low miles, and step up to a new 1 ton.

One word of wisdom... make sure the recalls have been done.
My water pump was the design that was prone to fail and was replaced.
The tailgate has a recall as well, they are prone to opening while driving down the road. My tailgate fell while towing and banged my trailer jack, denting the top of the tailgate. Ram declined to fix the tailgate, as it had minor previous damage that was poorly fixed by a friend.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Payload is 4,480 lbs. Camper weighs 3017 "wet" as weighed from the factory, so once loaded up we should be right at or just under GVWR. Surprised that the 68RFE has a higher payload and tow arting than the Aisin.

Also interesting how the GVWR magically jumps up 900 lbs with the Cummins to keep the payload ratings the same.

[image]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that's a bit of an upgrade! lol
Very nicely done. As new condition 5 year old truck in the rust belt nonetheless.
And a hard to find 3500 model to boot.
Congrats on the new ride, you will thoroughly enjoy it!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CONGRATS !!!!

As for the screen name, how about Burbins (part Suburban, part Cummins).

Check the decal on driver's side "B" pillar for exact payload for the truck. Can be diff from brochure due to options from factory.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smart move.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Burbman Crosses over to the Dark Side....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.