Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I must have violated one of the rules
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> I must have violated one of the rules

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few days ago I posted what I thought was informative information on the 1918 pandemic and referred the reader to an excellent book on the subject and listed the name of the book and the author.
It didn't make it to the Forum so listing the book must have been a no no.
But I will summarize and point out that the author stated that in the past 100 years we have not been able to develop an effective vaccine against the `old' flu (actually four different strains) so what are the chances of developing one for Covid-19 by the end of the year?
We can always hope for a miracle.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My take is that we just need to do the best we can to take care of ourselves. The world has never ever been a safe place. If we follow the advice, which by the way is the same as what our mommies have told us for hundreds of year, we will be fine. Wash hands when they are dirty, or you have touched something others may have, don’t get in someone else’s face, if you sneeze or cough cover your mouth, don’t go to school, shopping, eat out if you know you are sick. This social distancing of 6-10 feet is absurd. People will get sick, but 99.97% will see the next day.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

A few days ago I posted what I thought was informative information on the 1918 pandemic and referred the reader to an excellent book on the subject and listed the name of the book and the author.
But I will summarize and point out that the author stated that in the past 100 years we have not been able to develop an effective vaccine against the `old' flu (actually four different strains) so what are the chances of developing one for Covid-19 by the end of the year?

Depends on the author's definition of "effective".

If defined as a flu vaccine that stops you from getting the current year's strain most of the years, then yes, we have effective flu vaccines. I have had the shot every year without fail for over 50 years and have not gotten the flu once. I don't believe this would be true if the flu vaccines were ineffective.

If defined as a one and done vaccine that is good for life like polio, small pox, etc., then no, we do not have an effective vaccine; however, I think what we have is good enough.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

I had a post removed once. I had to ask a Moderator why. I think it would be nice here is a post is removed that the Moderators tell us why privately.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

Depends on the author's definition of "effective".

If defined as a flu vaccine that stops you from getting the current year's strain most of the years, then yes, we have effective flu vaccines. I have had the shot every year without fail for over 50 years and have not gotten the flu once. I don't believe this would be true if the flu vaccines were ineffective.

If defined as a one and done vaccine that is good for life like polio, small pox, etc., then no, we do not have an effective vaccine; however, I think what we have is good enough.

Can't remember the last time I had the FLU.......back in the 70's I think and I do NOT get the 'flu shot'

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if we do get a corona vaccine I'm thinking maybe 1/2 the population will take it. But I would hope the majority of us over 65 are not 'anti-vaxxers.'

Now, where is the mod going to move this thread to?
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Can't remember the last time I had the FLU.......back in the 70's I think and I do NOT get the 'flu shot'
It's quite possible you don't get the flu because others do get the flu shot.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

I had a post removed once. I had to ask a Moderator why. I think it would be nice here is a post is removed that the Moderators tell us why privately.

Maybe an automatically generated rejection form notice. Something like this:

Advisory: your post was removed for the following reason(s):
(check all that apply)
___ too political
___ too religious
___ too off-topic
___ argumentative tone
___ your rig looks ugly
___ no one likes you
___ your tire needs air
___ just because we can

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

___you didn't read the previous replies
___you didn't read the question

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

Maybe an automatically generated rejection form notice. Something like this:

Advisory: your post was removed for the following reason(s):
(check all that apply)
___ too political
___ too religious
___ too off-topic
___ argumentative tone
___ your rig looks ugly
___ no one likes you
___ your tire needs air
___ just because we can

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Sadly, over half the times the mods would check the last one to avoid any other complaining.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

I learned my lesson on other forums that it is not wise to question what the moderators do.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Posting Help and Support

> I must have violated one of the rules
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Posting Help and Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.