Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tire Balance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire Balance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

It is an adaptor that holds the rim by the lug holes
It has a center hole for attaching it to the balancing machine

Most trailer rims need to be balanced this way as they are lug centric not hub centric
Tire shops hate to use them if they even have them

Thanks!

Makes sense!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

It is an adaptor that holds the rim by the lug holes
It has a center hole for attaching it to the balancing machine

Most trailer rims need to be balanced this way as they are lug centric not hub centric
Tire shops hate to use them if they even have them

The more I think about balancing trailer wheels , and reading this thread ,the more I question the wisdom of doing so . I never balance utility trailers . And I know for a fact I’ve never had a fifth wheel balanced lug centric , always hub centric . Although none of them have been steel wheels .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I've always balanced my motorcycle tires, and they are always, always a little bit off. However I've talked to people that have never balanced a motorcycle tire and swear that they have never needed to. Seems to me that it would be unlikely that I'm the only person buying tires that need a little weight to be balanced.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The more I think about balancing trailer wheels , and reading this thread ,the more I question the wisdom of doing so . I never balance utility trailers . And I know for a fact I’ve never had a fifth wheel balanced lug centric , always hub centric . Although none of them have been steel wheels .

This bit from North American Trailer MFG on the issue;
NATM clicky

Lots of new gen tire dealers out here that don't deal with very many customers with road trailers and haven't learned from their customer base what works best for trailers that see lots of hiway miles. Most of their customers are folks like lawn service trailers or rv owners that never actually wear a tire out before they time out. When you put 50k-55k miles on a set of tires and use maybe two sets a year you soon learn about EXPERIENCED truck tire dealers vs a new guy tire shop down the street.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

FWIW, I've always balanced my motorcycle tires, and they are always, always a little bit off. However I've talked to people that have never balanced a motorcycle tire and swear that they have never needed to. Seems to me that it would be unlikely that I'm the only person buying tires that need a little weight to be balanced.

I think the difference in motorcycle tire balancing need, is the speed you ride. A guy chugging along on his Harley at 60 mph may not need tire balancing, while you/me running often times triple digits, a tire slightly out of balance, will be noticeable.

IMO, trailer tires do not need balancing for this very reason. Not many towing a trailer at speeds over 65. I also agree with others, that if you don't balance trailer wheels/tires properly, many shops don't, you are better off to not balance them at all.

Jerry

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion, many are making way too much out of hub versus lug centric balancing. You might have a wheel bad enough to matter, but very very unlikely. And if your wheel is that bad, it is going to run OOR, and never balance well anyway. The shop would see that, and if they are any good at all, they will try to figure out why. If they slap way too much weight on one side, and you let that pass, look in the mirror.

As far as balancing or not, how would you even know if you need balancing until you've done it? And if you're going to buy the mounting and hazard insurance, balancing is going to already be included. At most shops anyway. If they try to charge extra they are just gouging you.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

My opinion, many are making way too much out of hub versus lug centric balancing. You might have a wheel bad enough to matter, but very very unlikely. And if your wheel is that bad, it is going to run OOR, and never balance well anyway. The shop would see that, and if they are any good at all, they will try to figure out why. If they slap way too much weight on one side, and you let that pass, look in the mirror.

As far as balancing or not, how would you even know if you need balancing until you've done it? And if you're going to buy the mounting and hazard insurance, balancing is going to already be included. At most shops anyway. If they try to charge extra they are just gouging you.

I have seen them more then once rotate a tire on the rim, to get it to balance out better on truck tires .. I have no problem with balancing trailer tires, but lets put it this way, I wouldn't pay extra. I understand most include balancing in the mounting, but thats generally accepted because its automotive. I just don't think I am going to get too hung up on balancing trailers tires .

Pretty sure you won't see them balanced from the factory like automotive tires, and most likely in a lot of case those tires go thousands of miles not balanced . I know mine have

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we’re concerned about the drum being out of balance....why not use “balance beads”? That should take care of that issue....unless it’s “very” badly out of balance! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

If we’re concerned about the drum being out of balance....why not use “balance beads”? That should take care of that issue....unless it’s “very” badly out of balance! memtb

Not a believer in those, they need to reorient themselves every time the speed drops to a certain point. I asked the believers this question a long time ago: How many ounces of beads would you add to a tire that is 4 ounces out of balance with a brake drum that is 5.5 ounces out? Never got an answer. This is a real situation that I experienced. I knew the heavy spots on both and mounted with them opposed, so only 1.5 ounces of weight were required. For the bead fans, please calculate the amount needed (hint: it would be between 2 and 14 ounces).

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Les Schwab Trailer Tire no weights. Discount Tire tire has weights.

[image]
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire Balance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.