Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: What's the Latest Solar Tech?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What's the Latest Solar Tech?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

The battery is really the big thing in tech that has advanced. Yes, a little risky to mount lithium in camper cause you fear it will catch fire.

There are several lithium battery chemistries in use these days, and the lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo) used for RVs is not the fire hazard chemistry that others are. The risk is imaginary.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is all kinds of tech out there but 2 things don't change....put the controller, mppt or pwm as close to the battery as possible. If running parallel solar, run BIG wire. I have #4 conductor from the combiner to the controller(that is near the battery bank)and #2 from the controller to the battery bank. I have no inverter. Just my opinion

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AFAIK the latest tech is lower prices on panels, MPPT controllers, and lithium batteries.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 2002 TC might have the old style 6300 converter instead of a modern one. If it has a 9100 be sure to get a Charge Wizard for it.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

ajriding wrote:

The battery is really the big thing in tech that has advanced. Yes, a little risky to mount lithium in camper cause you fear it will catch fire.

There are several lithium battery chemistries in use these days, and the lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo) used for RVs is not the fire hazard chemistry that others are. The risk is imaginary.

Exactly. This needs to be reiterated because apparently a lot of people are unaware.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at the point of the IPs origin.

Long Island can get a hell of a lot colder than + 20F

Always necessary this caveat

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a 100W Renology Kit. This should be more than enough to keep the battery charged for the use we are planning.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was kidding about the battery fire, but some people worry on this forum about the most minute of things...

Agree, you don't want to just imp by with ever decreasing battery charge. If you have batteries, get solar!
It cost a few hundred up front, but power is free after that, and long-term much cheaper than a generator, gas and the hassles it brings.

You said 30 watt TV. Amps is the critical number, not watts. If you have solar and start the evening off with charged batteries, then TV will not be any problem at all.
I have two GC batts and run a big electric Danfoss compressor fridge/freezer and still have available power, and the fridge should be the biggest power consumption I ever use, though an inverter running something big will be a drain also. If you can get DC powered everything this is more efficient than using the inefficient inverter to turn DC into AC, and everything except lights and heaters will turn that AC back into DC anyway (your TV does).
You laptop will be the only thing that prob does not have a DC way to charge...

Also, with solar, use power early in the day so there is time to recharge before dark, if possible.

jshupe

FT

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

I was kidding about the battery fire, but some people worry on this forum about the most minute of things...

There are very real risks, especially associated with cobalt-containing chemistries such as most used EV batteries. LiFePO4 is benign and probably the safest of any batteries you will find available for RV use today. I think people who put used Tesla cells in their rigs, for instance, are asking for future trouble in all but the most sophisticated builds, which very few people do. By the time you get to a point where you've sufficiently mitigated the risks you might as well have gone with LiFePO4.

I went with a large Victron system and lots of residential panels and LiFePO4 batteries, and don't have to worry about energy management. The same equipment I'm using today was on the market in some variation or another five years ago, with very few differences. Solar tech is not changing that quickly, but costs of the existing technologies are slowly trending downwards.

* This post was edited 05/27/20 06:07pm by jshupe *

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hesitation with Lithium batteries isn't based on fire. They also have a minimum temperature they should be exposed too. I'm sure it varies but the ones I've looked at had an absolute minimum temperature that was above what it often gets to on cold winter nights. If my camper is sitting outside all winter that would mean needing to unhook the batteries and bring them inside. With AGM or flooded batteries, as long as they are charged (and the solar will take care of that) there's no reason to unhook them and bring them inside during the winter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What's the Latest Solar Tech?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.