Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Few questions from the future RV-er
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Few questions from the future RV-er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class B motorhomes are the most expensive you can buy based on space , mileage and features per $. Yes they are good for getting anywhere, passing fuel stations, or if you plan to stay out of them 100% of the time while parked. You pay heavily for the driving convenience IMO they sux in the bathroom, bedroom, lounging side of things. And before people blast me, I’ve had one. Class C’s are a step up in size, storage, family oriented, and offer a large selections of floor plans to choose from. And FYI there is no such thing as a class B+. They are by build definition a C, but for marketing B+ sounds better than a C- (minus the cab over section). Class A’s are the most space, storage, features per $ you can find. There is also a very wide selection from under $80k to the sky’s the limit. There are gas A’s and diesel A’s the shorter the A the less space you have for your stuff which seems like a “well duh” but some people look at all the storage doors, not knowing that behind that door is the waste tanks. Hope this helps.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From a past camp owners experience, ( Yea we sold and are retiring! ) we have seen every class, every type of user.
Whatever type of user you are rent one like you think before you buy. Every class of unit has its positives and challenges. Only you can decide what is right for you.

There are no better or best choices concerning brand, not always what you pay for is what you get. Reputation for one brand or another is frequently flavored by failure or success of components which are not the name brand builders component.

Fot us, 5th whl with severe cold weather ( or hot) capability with very large holding tanks suitable for extended limited or no services stays is our choice. We like to travel in any weather and go off grid. and to limited service camps loke COEs for long periods

Your bucket list is paramount.

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We chose a small Winnebago on the Ford e450 chassis due to the fiberglass roof (don’t like rubber maintenance) and the e450 chassis has larger load capacity and different gears and other things like sway bars that we liked. Winnebago has a good long term story and lots of models. There are lots of good points get out and try some.

Winnebago Access 24V

Polonus

Matthews, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DiploStrat wrote:

-- Most American RV's are very poorly made. They are made by companies whose owners and, in many cases, workers, have never spent a single night in their products. The goal is to sell the largest possible volume of vehicles at the lowest price.

-- Well made, enthusiast spec RV's cost 100-300% more. E.G. https://advanced-rv.com/

I understand that everything has its price, but if I could not afford it, it doesn't matter to me.

I'll not spend $200K for a van based RV, no matter how good it may be. If the insulation on the cheaper van is not that good, in summer I'll park in the shadow, and run the heater at cold winter nights. Especially that I am not planing to stay on the road full time. I'd rather spend those extra money to visit places around the world. 100K dollars would buy me trips with nice hotel accommodations in many exotic places. Places, where my 200K van could not take me at all.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome!
Good questions and I think TigerRV4x4 guy hit the nail on the head as far as considerations. In general, I'd personally stick with a Ford/Chevy based C. Both of those chassis are stone reliable as their pickup trucks and easy/more economical to fix than Sprinter/van type. Diesel? Meh. Gooder fuel mileage, but worthless for towing with the little de-rated 3 liter engines. Not worth the $ IMO unless you're really piling on the miles and even then it may be a wash financially.

Personally, I'd not wait and get out traveling. Buy a nice older class C that checks out in great shape for a faction of new and start traveling. Use it for a while, upgrade to newer or different if you want to, and not spend a bunch of money on depreciation right out of the gates.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

DiploStrat

Arlington VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please understand, I am not arguing that you need an expedition style vehicle - few people do. You asked why there is such a range in prices. I simply meant to offer you one answer.

As others have noted, everyone's needs are different. In your answer you set some of your own criteria:

-- Don't need four season.
-- No planned third world travel.
-- Under $200,000.
-- Not full time.

Those are all very reasonable criteria.

Lot of good advice in this thread. Renting a few different models, if you can do it, is always a good idea.

DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Few questions from the future RV-er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.