Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Coach battery not charging
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Coach battery not charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
AJarand

Bloomington, Illinois, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 Phoenix Cruiser on a Ford E350. Generator is Onan 4000.
Generator runs fine, but does not charge the coach battery, the engine does not charge the coach battery, and plugging the RV in does not charge the coach battery. Only way to charge it is to put a charger on it. (Battery is good, fairly new and once charged holds the charge fine)
Whats the common denominator keeping the coach battery from charging?
My electrical knowledge on these things is a bit limited.

Alan, Marjie and Emily(15)

2006 Phoenix Cruiser 21' w/Slide
E350 Ford V10

Previous RV:
2005 Great West Classic Supreme (Class B)
On 2004 Ford E350, 5.4 V8 Chassis
">

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the coach battery supply power to the coach once it's charged? It sure sounds like it simply isn't connected for some reason--a loose or damaged cable, a bad ground connection, the battery disconnect switch set to disconnect (storage) rather than connect (use), a blown main fuse or tripped main breaker, etc.

If you're getting power from the battery, but it's not charging from any of those sources, that's rather more mysterious. As best as I can tell, you have a combination of two faults: a bad or mistakenly disconnected converter and something wrong with the battery isolator circuit (such as a bad solenoid). Both the generator and shore power use the converter to charge the battery.

AJarand

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Battery powers the coach fine. Genset puts out power.... Just cant get power to the coach battery for recharging. THanks for the reply BTW

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Fairly new" might mean there was a recent chance to do a reverse polarity (RP), blowing the RP fuses on the converter. Meanwhile the DC circuit breaker at the battery end of the alternator charging wire might not like that RP either.

If still RP'd, 12v things will work except fans will run backwards.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

AJarand

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Polarity is (and has been fine) but thanks for the tip...

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so not knowing what your expertise is, before going into a whole song and dance about what to check, it would be good to know what you have already done.

Give us some digital voltmeter readings on each side of the various components that might be at fault for both the converter and the alternator charging aspects.`

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sound like you have two problems but if you have done some maintenance it could be the same wire dropped while doing so. This happens about every three days on these forums so as mentioned, let us know what you have done to the rv in the last week or two.

A reversed battery will cause all kinds of havoc. You cannot rely on wire colors either if you happen to do any basic home wiring.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy, what seperates your coach battery from the engine battery? Either a solenoid switch or solid state isolator. It has been my experience in each class c I have owned, that the solenoid switch failed and needed replacement.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If by coach battery you are referring to the house battery (powers the living quarters). Then the common denominator is your converter charger is not working and possibly needs to be replaced.

First though I would find the circuit breaker panel and look for a tripped breaker for the converter. A tripped breaker will usually look like it's not in line with the other breakers. Once you find the breaker just flip it all the way off by pressing firmly in the off direction. Then flip the breaker back on and see if it starts charging.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

AJarand

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fourthclassC wrote:

Howdy, what seperates your coach battery from the engine battery? Either a solenoid switch or solid state isolator. It has been my experience in each class c I have owned, that the solenoid switch failed and needed replacement.

That was my first thought, too. Had to replace solenoid a few years ago so I put in another new one.... no change, though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Coach battery not charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.