Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Calling all 12V Battery Experts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Calling all 12V Battery Experts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
maria_bettina

Auburn, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi! So I need your expertise...

I have a DC-powered swamp cooler (pump and fan) that runs at 1.65 amps. I will be running it in my shed, which has AC outlets. So I am thinking that I will hook up the swamp cooler to the smallest battery I can buy (to keep costs down) and keep the charger on the battery while it's running. Bad idea? [emoticon]

If it's not a bad idea, what do I need to look for in a 12V battery? I see the specs on some 7Ah batteries that read "Initial Current: Less than 2.1A" What the heck is that for? If my swamp cooler runs at 1.65 amps, the initial current is at least 1.65 amps, so to be safe do I need a slightly bigger battery or is that 7Ah battery perfect for my needs?

Please help a battery-ignorant person!

* This post was edited 05/27/20 08:10pm by maria_bettina *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First there are batteries. batteries and batteries.

DEEP cycle batteries you can safely use 1/2 of the stored power
MARINE/deep cycle (Or RV) you can use about 1/4

at 1.5 amps that 7 AH battery will only run the cooler for about an hour

I'd go with a pair of GC-2's or in this case a big (Group 31) AGM that's 120 amp hours and can run the cooler for about 10 hours with no problem at all.

A solar panel to recharge might be nice too.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have AC power there, couldn't you just use an AC to DC converter? You can pick up a cheap one for 20 bucks or so.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

Since you have AC power there, couldn't you just use an AC to DC converter? You can pick up a cheap one for 20 bucks or so.

This is I think the best answer. You need a 12V (or maybe slightly higher) power supply capable of putting out at least the current the cooler requires; I'd go with at least 2A to be on the safe side. The battery is then an unnecessary complication, and along with it the associated maintenance (checking electrolyte levels, cleaning terminals, etc.). You can find plenty of power supplies that would be entirely suitable on Amazon, and elsewhere, for ca. $10.

maria_bettina

Auburn, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

p220sigman wrote:

We just came to the same conclusion, and I was getting on the computer to check Amazon. haha. I am glad you posted because I feel better about it now!

DrewE wrote:

p220sigman wrote:

This is I think the best answer. You need a 12V (or maybe slightly higher) power supply capable of putting out at least the current the cooler requires; I'd go with at least 2A to be on the safe side. The battery is then an unnecessary complication, and along with it the associated maintenance (checking electrolyte levels, cleaning terminals, etc.). You can find plenty of power supplies that would be entirely suitable on Amazon, and elsewhere, for ca. $10.

Thank you! So much simpler [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Closed frame power supplies are sealed therefore highly water resistant. Medical grade like for CPAPS are UL registered and I have never had one fail, after thousands of hours of use in 110F weather. But maybe you don"t need bomb shelter grade durability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Calling all 12V Battery Experts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.