Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Cautionary tale
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cautionary tale

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having seen what junk passes for jacks in various vehicles over the years, I have several bottle jacks and an aluminum service jack that has served me well. Last time we went anywhere over an hour away from home, I took the service jack along, and that proved a wise decision as I had two tires go bad on the trailer. One of the ones on the trailer when I started the trip. Replaced all of them on the road, along with the spare. Stopped for lunch an hour after tire replacement, and one of the new ones had gone flat when I came out to resume the journey.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

I never thought to check whether the jack worked or not because it looked like new. I feel like such a moron.

If you had needed it, you'd be writing now about the epic story of finding and buying one, and the nice person who helped you.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

TravelinDog wrote:

So we bought a new to us 2017 Ram 2500 CTD last summer and decided to take our TT and truck out for a summer shake-down cruise. I'm a stickler for having good tires and spare for truck and trailer.
We went on our trip probably 1100 miles with no problems.
We were so lucky.
After we got home I decided to rotate the truck tires and lo and behold the jack that came with the truck doesn't work.
We would have been so screwed if I had gotten a flat because it is very desolate between home and our destination.
I never thought to check whether the jack worked or not because it looked like new. I feel like such a moron.

If it looked like new and maybe never used, are you sure you know how to use it. A lot of people are clueless around tools less basic than a toothpick.

Uh yeah...it's not that hard to use a screw-jack. I'm not that much of a moron. When I turned the crank the jack raised up just like it should. When trying to lift any weight at all I could hear the gears inside just slipping.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cautionary tale
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.