Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: fifth wheel backing trouble
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fifth wheel backing trouble

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Solarman

Walnut Creek, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

5th wheel dolly

Those things are WAY too expensive (less expensive options available) and I wouldn't trust them on a big 5th wheel. That guy in the video sure doesn't need one to get that small 5th wheel into that spot. Easy with just the truck.

JC Smith
Radio Station K0HPS
35' Forest River Columbus

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my own experience, the one most valuable thing I've learned when backing is go SLOW. Doing so allows more time to correct or make adjustments without having to pull forward again.
My RV driveway at home is on my blind side. Once the right side of the RV starts to turn-in, I stop and adjust the passenger side mirror all the way out and I'm able to see. I do have a back-up camera but I have never embraced it as I just don't find it clear enough and it not wide angle enough.
As others have said it just takes practice.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solarman wrote:

Super_Dave wrote:

My gate is narrow and the turn is tight. Dropping the 5er a couple times to reposition the truck works best for me to reduce stress of jack knifing or hitting the corner of the house.

Thanks, Super Dave. That did the trick. I might have been able to get it in with a bunch of tries but just dropping it once and repositioning the truck made it easy... well, not exactly easy but possible.

Never owned a 5th wheel RV, but have experience with a semi-trailer.
Never once have I seen a place that was to tight to work the tractor, but have room to hook/unhook.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcm1959 wrote:

From my own experience, the one most valuable thing I've learned when backing is go SLOW. Doing so allows more time to correct or make adjustments without having to pull forward again.
My RV driveway at home is on my blind side. Once the right side of the RV starts to turn-in, I stop and adjust the passenger side mirror all the way out and I'm able to see. I do have a back-up camera but I have never embraced it as I just don't find it clear enough and it not wide angle enough.
As others have said it just takes practice.

Often getting into a tight place I have found no shame in jackknifeing to angle past what need to be to go up a drive, then crank hard, pull forward, and cut again to get in front of trailer.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try looking at some backing videos on YouTube - maybe help, maybe not - but it's "free to you" !!

[emoticon]

Solarman

Walnut Creek, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been backing 5th wheels into that spot since 1997 and we are in and out four or five times every year, sometimes more so I’ve had a LOT of practice. After I took out a telephone pole is was easy with my first one, a 28’ HRC. The second one, a 31’ Alpenlite with a longer kingpin to axles length, was more of a challenge but I always got it in, it just sometimes took a lot of tries. Obviously I go very slow. The new rig is a 35’ Forest River and the kingpin to axles length is about a foot longer. Envision an upside down L. The driveway is the long leg. It’s 15’ wide and has a fence on the passenger side (when backing up) and a tree on the corner of the driver’s side. You are backing around the tree, to your left so the rig is visible to the driver which helps hugging the corner. You are backing into the short side of the L with the house behind you. The short leg is just wide enough to be able to open the slides with less than a foot clearance but it’s a little wider (~20’) where you first enter it. I have friends with trailers who have looked at our 31’ Alpenlite in its spot and they say, like Breaker did, “WOW!!!! I would never get that in there.”

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> fifth wheel backing trouble
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.