Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Portable generators with auto start capability.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable generators with auto start capability.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3tons (ISTR) has a Victron battery monitor of some sort that has a gen start feature you can set a voltage for. Not a clue how that works.

But if you had that connected to a converter that just lost its 120v input and thus showed a lower voltage (battery voltage) and that was what you had set as your gen start voltage, that could trigger the gen start?

EDIT More options on that

Can't link that Google article from Victron--anyway they have ways to do generator starting.

* This post was last edited 05/30/20 06:11pm by BFL13 *   View edit history

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

3tons (ISTR) has a Victron battery monitor of some sort that has a gen start feature you can set a voltage for. Not a clue how that works.

But if you had that connected to a converter that just lost its 120v input and thus showed a lower voltage (battery voltage) and that was what you had set as your gen start voltage, that could trigger the gen start?

EDIT More options on that

Can't link that Google article from Victron--anyway they have ways to do generator starting.

VICTRON GX STOP-START MANUAL

Doesn't really seem to be exactly what the OP was asking for, in a nutshell it is a BATTERY MONITOR with auto start. One would have to pull some tricks electronically to trigger it on shore power fail.. Then I don't see anything about 120V ATS so one would still need an ATS to switch between shore and gen..

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, when you lose the 120 shore power, you can trigger the gen somehow and no problem, but then the shore power 120 comes back on--you don't want to have 240v.

Or you could have a rig with two air conditioners--one on shore power only and the other on gen only

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you call someone to start the generator for you? If there is wifi near your trailer you could install a temp monitoring system. It can alert your cell phone to a rise in temp and then you could ask someone to go start the genny.

Its also nice to monitor fridge temps.

CoeyCoey

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

How do you plan to handle choking or priming the engine for starting?

https://www.aimscorp.net/3200-watt-portable-inverter-generator.html

CoeyCoey

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

How do you plan to handle choking or priming the engine for starting?

https://www.aimscorp.net/3200-watt-portable-inverter-generator.html

CoeyCoey

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I think I am going to go all battery. In order to make it simple, I would need a Victron 2 AC input Quatro inverter/Charger. It would be around $3,300 plus the generator at $800. If I skip the generator, I can get a Victron Multiplus inverter for $1,300 and two Tesla battery modules with BMS for around $3,000. That would give me around 10kWh of energy. Enough to run my AC longer than the gas tank on the generator would. 5 hours with no solar coming in, 8 hours with 75% solar coming in. The two battery modules don't weigh much more than the generator. Plus, I can add more in the future. I think four would be great. Plus, the size of the batteries means I don't have to worry about a cooling system. The air conditioning will only draw a max of about .16C with two modules, and .08C with four, and that is with no solar input.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please post pictures of the install [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoeyCoey wrote:

Hello all,

I am looking for a small portable generator with autostart capability. The only one I have found so far is the AIM models. Does anyone else know of any brands with this feature?

My goal is to have a backup generator automatically kick on if the shore power should fail to make sure my dogs still have AC if I am not around to turn it on myself.

Thanks!

We've kindof had the same issue with our dog's safety when away from our motorhome on foot while looking for rocks - with the motorhome parked in the desert sun with it's built-in generator running and the rooftop AC on to keep the coach interior and dog cool (the dog was in a playpen - not running loose inside) :

We kept the rooftop vent fan running (of course powered by the coach batteries) for whole-coach ventilation in addition to the AC, and a powerful portable 12V fan running (also powered by the coach battieries) and aimed directly at the dog in it's playpen for super air flow aimed right at the dog's playpen.

When we got back to the RV for some reason the generator, and the AC that it was operating, had stopped on it's own. The 12V coach batteries powered dual fans kept the dog cool and ventilated enough so as to remain comfortable while we were away without the generator no longer running.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoeyCoey wrote:

If I skip the generator, I can get a Victron Multiplus inverter for $1,300 and two Tesla battery modules with BMS for around $3,000.

Where did you find Tesla Battery modules for $3k?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable generators with auto start capability.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.