Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Salvage title???? update with pics
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Salvage title???? update with pics

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went camping last weekend. Friday afternoon while driving to the campground, drove through a little storm. Only lasted a couple of miles. But the headwinds were ferocious. Anyway, insurance guy came out today and looks like they are going to total it. Repair estimate was $9700+. I know that exceeds the value of the trailer.

I do have a couple of questions though. Has anyone bought a salvage title trailer? We are going to look at a replacement trailer tomorrow. The guy said it had a salvage title because of a theft. By looking at the pictures online, you can tell that the furniture in the unit is not original. Other than that the trailer looks awesome. And it is $6-7000 below retail. Can a trailer with a salvage title be insured?

[image]

Here is the new trailer.
[image]

[image]

And this is what I aquired today. Am I now in the club??? LOL

[image]

* This post was edited 06/08/20 07:56pm by shadows4 *

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 210,000 miles
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a call to your insurance agent is in order.
Different states have different rules.
A salvage title will definitely affect resale value. Buy it cheap and keep it a long time and you will be OK. Salvage title is forever.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but salvage because of a theft doesn’t add up. Major damage makes more sense and I’d be inspecting it for water and frame damage first. Good luck though

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

Sorry but salvage because of a theft doesn’t add up. Major damage makes more sense and I’d be inspecting it for water and frame damage first. Good luck though

Insurance companies can have a salvage title issued for vehicles that had been stolen and have been fully paid out to the insured as a total loss, but later recovered.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In many states you cannot get a tag with a salvage title... it has to be inspected $$ and a rebuilt title is then issued. Some insurance companies will not let you cover comb and collision with a rebuilt title. Need to make some calls for your state.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

Sorry but salvage because of a theft doesn’t add up.

A theft recovery that incurred an insurance pay off to the owner results in a salvage title. That is the way it works. If the insurance pays the owner after a theft, the vehicle then belongs to the insurance company when it is recovered. The insurance company MUST obtain a salvage title for resale. "SORRY!"

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. We went and looked at it today. Glad we did. It isn't perfect but it was in great shape and the guy gave us an awesome price. Should pick it up next Friday!!! Woohoo!!!

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shadows4 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. We went and looked at it today. Glad we did. It isn't perfect but it was in great shape and the guy gave us an awesome price. Should pick it up next Friday!!! Woohoo!!!

Congratulations! What is it? Any pics?? [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a wrecked F250. Replaced the frame from cab back and bed. Traded it to Dad. When he died, nephew got it. He did not need that heavy truck so I bought it from him. This time the title came back clean.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I bought a wrecked F250. Replaced the frame from cab back and bed. Traded it to Dad. When he died, nephew got it. He did not need that heavy truck so I bought it from him. This time the title came back clean.

Just be cautious when and if you ever sell it, as the salvage history will still follow the vehicle (in other words, be sure not to represent it as having a clean title).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Salvage title???? update with pics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.