Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Arizona and AC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Arizona and AC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Head towards Flagstaff. The higher yu can get, the better. Even Kingman is 20* cooler than where you are (95* high).

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it is 115 I head for the mountains. When it is 100 I head for the mountains. Same thing when it is 90. I almost never need AC except when traveling for one night.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing that can help when it gets really hot is to shut the vents to the bedroom & bathroom so all the cool air is focused on the main living area.

A 2nd portable Air/Con can help but if you have a 30amp rig, powering it can be a problem. Do you have a second outlet on the power pedestal that you can connect it to?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in that type of heat. A fan inside the trailer really helps. ALso you cant play catch up. Crank that sucker early in the morning. Open cabinets because they are giant heat sinks.

Ive seen a video about modifying the a/c cover. On the back are vents but they are restrictive. Some people cut them to allow more airflow. On my friends 2001 toyhauler the back of the a/c cover is completely open. Could be damaged in hail. I guess thats how that particular model was made back then.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally you need to park in the shade and/or add a second A/C unit. I would skip the portable except as a last resort.

Although do check the evaporator for ice when it seems to be blowing warm air. If you have a wall thermostat you should see a freeze sensor... make sure it is placed right on the evaporator. These freeze sensors are notorious for being improperly installed or to fall away from the right position. Also check the lower plenum divider is properly positioned and sealed to separate the air in vs air out. This can all be checked by removing the lower trim pieces inside the RV.

You should allow the air to run continuous 24/7 in these conditions. It is just a machine, it does not get tired or need a nap.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

tempforce

Oregun Pacific Wonderland (in the summers)

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when overing a summer in az. I installed the largest window a/c unit I could find. to help my rooftop unit. the place still got hot.. I found that by using another window, I could just use a swamp cooler while I was gone and at night. then seal up the cooler during the heat of the day and just use the ac units... wasn't a pleasant summer..
if/when I replace my old rv. I will be downsizing. but will have twin a/c units and add an extra 1-2" of insulation installed in or on the roof. even if I have to have it done by a non dealer source.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'
currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tempforce wrote:

when overing a summer in az. I installed the largest window a/c unit I could find. to help my rooftop unit. the place still got hot.. I found that by using another window, I could just use a swamp cooler while I was gone and at night. then seal up the cooler during the heat of the day and just use the ac units... wasn't a pleasant summer..
if/when I replace my old rv. I will be downsizing. but will have twin a/c units and add an extra 1-2" of insulation installed in or on the roof. even if I have to have it done by a non dealer source.

For a summer in AZ I'd definitely want my RV kept in the shade for another reason besides keeping it cool insidie. The sun's heat and UV rays are VERY HARD on RV exteriors - drying, cracking, and generally breaking down every exterior thing - of course including the paint, rubber seals, and chemical sealants.

It's too bad large SW U.S. solar farms don't mount their panels up high off the ground and then set up RV parks underneath the panels so RV'ers could both camp in the shade and pay for less expensive electrical power.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

tempforce wrote:

For a summer in AZ I'd definitely want my RV kept in the shade for another reason besides keeping it cool insidie. The sun's heat and UV rays are VERY HARD on RV exteriors - drying, cracking, and generally breaking down every exterior thing - of course including the paint, rubber seals, and chemical sealants.

It's too bad large SW U.S. solar farms don't mount their panels up high off the ground and then set up RV parks underneath the panels so RV'ers could both camp in the shade and pay for less expensive electrical power.

Actually, the KOA in Tucson has a large section that is under solar panel canopies. Obviously, that section is more popular in the summer than the winter. Also, many of the RV storage lots are under solar panel cover as well. There is another new one being built that is supposed to be open next month, but I drove past yesterday and it looks like they were delayed and are a long way from completion.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We RV in Palm Desert, Parker River and Canyon Lake so we ended up installing a second roof air and it solved the problem. So nice having two airs running.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Arizona and AC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.