Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tow vehicle advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tow vehicle advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rover_Bill wrote:

Unless you AND your DW are already experienced and comfortable driving a full sized pickup in city traffic and parking it in tight Walmart parking spaces, I highly recommend you consider a mid-sized pickup or large SUV rated for your TT. On vacation, you will spend more days driving to sightseeing and shopping places than towing your TT. When not on vacation, will you park/store the TV along with your TT? No, you will be driving it to work and shopping not towing.

My DW and I have been VERY HAPPY towing our 30ft 7000# TT for more than 30,000 miles in 4 yrs with our Canyon.

Highly recommend the opposite. Yes, you can get by with a compact pickup if spec'd properly but...

When we first got the 4 door long bed 3/4 ton, the misses was concerned about driving it. Within a week, she got over it and it was her preferred vehicle.

OP doesn't need to go to a 3/4 ton truck but 1/2 ton and midsize trucks cost about the same and get similar MPG. Having had midsize and 1/2 ton trucks, driving around town isn't much different.

If you do get a 1/2 ton, make sure to get one of the higher payload options. Often, the payload runs out before the tow rating does with smaller pickups. The 1/2ton will set you up much better if in a couple years you want to move up to a 25-30ft trailer. And being a bit bigger and stronger, will tend to tow better.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^See, different strokes for different folks.
I’d have no issue tugging a 4klb TT around with any of the newer midsize trucks, but I wouldn’t do 30’ and 7klbs with a midsize unless I had to.
OP, factor in, if you can’t decide which truck to get then you also aren’t experienced with towing or trucks in general, and at that, having a full size pickup will offer a greater factor of safety over a midsize. (But your still well within a mid size truck wheelhouse. )

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My F150 (3.5EB) was my daily driver for 7 years, including while working downtown and parking in a municipal garage. The new F250 isn't driven much since I'm now retired.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

definetly a case for a full sized 1500 truck, ford f150, chev 1500, ram 1500
we orefer a big lazy v8 over a hardworking, high revving v6 turbo
as stated before, in two years you will want a bigger trailer especially for that cross country trip! select the truck with that in mindjust for reference, we tow 8000lb(loaded) 26 ft with a ram 1500, hemi 8speed. we traded up from a 24 ft 4500lb towed by a v6 dakota

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You NEVER have to much truck!

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

You NEVER have to much truck!

Yep, need one of tandem rear axle 1000hp/200+ft lbs of torque to pull my 1500 lb tent trailer here and beyond!

I personally believe one can have too much truck per say, or too little depending on many circumstances.
Payload is the key, then selecting a drivetrain to meet your needs. Otherwise, you have too much or too little of some part of which make towing a pleasure.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are just starting out, I recommend buying a 1/2 ton p/u at a minimum. Back in the day we (and probably most folks here) started with a small/light trailer but bought a longer, heavier TT within 5 years. That made our tough F-150 way under-powered so we upgraded to the 3/4 ton diesel in my signature...a night & day difference.

Be prepared for fuel sticker shock: when towing my 1/2 ton avg'd 8-9 mpg and 35 mph up our mountain passes; my current 3/4 ton diesel tows at 10-11 mpg and 60 mph up the same mountain.

After a few TT years you will finally find and purchase the "set-up" that makes you happy.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Width and length of wheelbase plays into the TV choice a bit after payload and towing capacity. Longer and wider is always better for stability particularly towing a single axle trailer. I'd go w a 150/1500 at a minimum. I had an early Nissan Titan and that thing was a beast, comparable to a 250/2500.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tow vehicle advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.