Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: From motorhome to travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> From motorhome to travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JL7456

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After forty years and four motorhomes and the last year without anything, we are exploring the idea of purchasing a small couples travel trailer and a pickup truck to pull it. We are looking at KZ Connect lite or Gulf Stream Ameri-lite. We would like to know the quality of these units or suggestions for a trailer under 28 feet. Thanks!

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KZ has a better than average reputation for support.
Build quality may be somewhat better than other similar lines, but they and Grand Design seem to have loyal fan bases.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy or select the TT first...then match a TV to it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Gulf Stream Ameri Lite is as low as you can get quality wise and also the lowest entry level trailer made.

Stick with KZ and Winnebago.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started out in a van (1987), then a cabover, travel trailer, then a class A motorhome. We traveled in the motorhome for a decade. I enjoyed it but, it was a lot more maintenance. In 2017 we bought a new travel trailer (our first brand new unit). For the most part, I prefer the TT to the motorhome. The things I sort of miss about the motorhome is being fully self contained, the bathroom and generator out on the road. And, having a toad if you break down. What I don't miss is every bloody thing else. Freezing in front of that big windshield in the dead of winter. 3 grand for a set of tires.

We have a bathroom now but, it requires pulling over. The maintenance on a travel trailer is much less. I have the quick lube axles so, very easy there. Brake adjustments are easy. Wash the roof, et al, a few times a year. Lube the slide out rails and the TV antenna. 15 minutes to winterize it a couple of times a year. Super easy.

If you're going long distances just get more tow vehicle than you think you need. Just enough to be legal will do it but, not the fun way. If I were going spending long hours for days on the road I'd rather have the motorhome. For a week here and a week there I much prefer the travel trailer.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to show the other end of the spectrum.
I don't miss the TT at all. hooking up and dealing with the WD hitch in the heat. Worrying about a potential trailer tire blowing. needing to pull over and open the trailer to use the bathroom. trying to level the trailer with blocks. most of all the worst was trying to cool down the inside of a trailer after towing in the 90`s all day! with the MH hooking up the toad is simple and much better when its 90 outside! MH tires don't have the blowout record ST tires do plus they last a few years longer. the inside of the MH will be nice and cool when you get to your destination. the bathroom is right there for you, and again nice and cool. slide and roof maint are required on any type of RV. As far as the windshield freezing, not worried as I will never travel in the winter, but car/SUV windshields will do the same thing. TT tires and truck tires will cost you a bit less than 22.5" MH tires, but MH tires can last longer than ST tires and longer than a truck that's also your daily driver, you may go through 2 sets on a truck to one set on a MH. also you don't need to worry about cleaning and inspecting wheel bearings every couple of years on a MH.
Just a different perspective.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you asking specifically only about these two trailer brands, or wanting anecdotes about trailers vs motorhomes?

Trailers vs motors depend on a lot of variables. The obvious is a trailer is less trouble, less maintenance, no insurance, retains value longer, no transmission, or motor to repair, will not break down etc.
Motorhomes are nice, compact, easy to use and if you can throw a lot of money at it might be the best choice.
If you rarely plan to use the RV then the trailer makes sense as it can sit for long periods and the transmission seals, which it does not have, will not dry out, and the motor will not need to be started and driven from time to time because it does not have one.
If you will RV a lot and do a lot of miles, then the motorhome will accumulate the miles, and need repair like any vehicle, and eventually need a new trans or a new motor, or some major work, again, if money no object then motorhome is a nice option.

To me, new trailers or RVs are like a walmart bike. Buy it and take it straight to a real bike shop to be fixed. Most RVs are built poorly and quickly and will need repairs very soon.

JL7456

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I should have made it a little more clear, that we will not go back to the motorhome concept as we are in our late seventies and just want something that we can tow out to local campgrounds within two hours of our home. I appreciate all of the advice and information from everyone. I would like to know preferences on brand names, quality and value for the money. We have the TV and now just need the TT. The TV can tow up to 13,000 pounds. As for the TT it can be used or new and we want to keep it under 28ft. Thanks for the advice.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take a close look at the Venture travel trailer models in the length you are wanting. They have a lot of good features including a large shower in the rear bath and the use of the murphy bed up front which gives you the advantage of a full bed and the sofa at the front of the trailer. They also have a continuous one piece roof that runs from the bottom front to the bottom rear of the trailer. It should be less prone to leaking at the seams than normal TT roofs.
If I were in the market for a small TT, they would definitely be on my short list. [emoticon]
Barney

* This post was edited 06/03/20 02:15pm by BarneyS *

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

The Gulf Stream Ameri Lite is as low as you can get quality wise and also the lowest entry level trailer made.

Stick with KZ and Winnebago.
I would second this after owning a Gulfstream and trading it in after one trip, in all fairness this was a few years ago.

A lot of people seem to like Grand Design but have not owned one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> From motorhome to travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.