Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Correctly installing a 12v power meter after coach master
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Correctly installing a 12v power meter after coach master

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timotb wrote:

What meters are most people installing?
I have this one.

Bluetooth app, so I can check it from anywhere near the coach.

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timotb

After looking at the PDF and re-reading the post. I believe that - yes, you can power the meter running a wire from LJ to the red location and a wire from KF to the black location on the meter, respectively. Be aware that as shown in the PDF, the meter will not be shown in the power consumption on the display. As you are wiring it to KF and LJ, the power consumption of the meter will be measured. So if you are trying to check the TV, you will actually be checking the consumption of the TV and the meter.

As others have mentioned, the shunt shown in the pdf (black strip of a thing) must be installed between the negative on the battery and whatever you want to measure the power consumption of. Most will install between the main negative cable from the battery and the rest of the coach. Simply turning things on and off will show the consumption of each individual thing.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the shunt, don't forget the existing wire from battery neg to the Rv frame (it is "negative grounded"). That needs to be disconnected from the battery neg post and now run from the Rv frame to the shunt with all the other negs and then goes through the shunt to the battery neg post.

That still leaves the battery negative grounded plus lets the shunt "see" whatever uses the frame as part of its negative path.

I tried one of those little eBay meters. It lasted about five minutes. It had two little tiny screws to adjust the amps and volts to calibrate the meter. The little screw for the amps came away and that was that. Very flimsy. I used it as a voltmeter after that. It was also a one-way type so I had a choice whether to measure charging or discharging.

I have a Trimetric.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i use this one, so far I love it 1/6th the cost of the Victron and only doesnt show actual remaining amp hours, just percentage.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FGFFHC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

timotb

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great ideas here. I'm probably going to dump my one-way $20 ebay meter for something better. Keep the ideas coming! thanks much!

Update: I did dump the ebay unit for the AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage as recommended by Stircrazy Steve. Now I have to find the best place to mount and install

* This post was edited 06/04/20 07:44pm by timotb *

timotb

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

i use this one, so far I love it 1/6th the cost of the Victron and only doesnt show actual remaining amp hours, just percentage.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FGFFHC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve

I like!

timotb

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timotb wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

I like!

I just ordered one. Where did you install yours?

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timotb wrote:

timotb wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

I like!

I posted a couple pictures in this post mods

for the battery side I bought a short cable (about a foot long and went from the negitive termanal to that, then everything else hooks up to the other side of the shunt so all draws are measured. mine is in a truck camper so I was limited for battery space so I had to move it out of the way a bit. it comes with a 6 foot cable but I ordered the 16 foot cable as well as 6 foot would have still been in the bathroom [emoticon]

Steve

timotb

United States

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

timotb wrote:

timotb wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

I like!

I posted a couple pictures in this post mods

for the battery side I bought a short cable (about a foot long and went from the negitive termanal to that, then everything else hooks up to the other side of the shunt so all draws are measured. mine is in a truck camper so I was limited for battery space so I had to move it out of the way a bit. it comes with a 6 foot cable but I ordered the 16 foot cable as well as 6 foot would have still been in the bathroom [emoticon]

Steve

Just installed mine today. Much better than my other idea. Rather bright like a nightlight when disconnected from shore power. Might have to make a cover.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Correctly installing a 12v power meter after coach master
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.