Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Refrigerator cooling question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Refrigerator cooling question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
pulpwood007

Hemphill, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have followed all the threads involving improving cooling on RV refrigerators. My Norcold is a constant problem to keep the temps at around 40 degrees.

My question is in regards to installing additional fans, both blowing across the coils and inside the fridge to circulate the air. There are controllers sold to only activate the fans when the refrigerator is running (in the cooling mode). They turn off after the cooling cycle is complete.

Other folks just simply install fans that blow across the coils, and circulate air inside the fridge and control them manually. Either leaving them running continuously or turning them on when the fridge will not maintain correct temps.

Are there any issues in letting the fans run continuously? Less efficiency?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They will get dirty in many cases and fail.
Have you looked into the ventilation? Most rigs do not have refer installed with clearances as specified in the installation manual.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running the fan all the time uses electricity. But if you have lots of power, that's not a problem.

Here is another idea -- this should increase the efficiency of the airflow. It's a flue deflector:

Flue deflector -- DIY

It should reduce (or in my case eliminate) the need for fans to improve airflow.

Good luck!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed 2x Scythe DFS123812H-3000 Ultra Kaze 120mm x 38mm Case Fan - 3000RPM outside to exaust with a switch inside. I could add thermisters for temperature and over temperature control.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fyrflie

Martinez, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a small 3” computer fan inside the fridge and a larger 6” computer fan outside blowing up past the fridge components. Both switched by one switch inside. The amount of power used by both fans is minimal and does a great job of circulating cold air in the fridge and pushing hot air up and out the top vent.
Both fans and switch cost less than $25.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The flue deflector is shown in some installation instructions.
I made mine from 6 or 8 inch piece of metal duct.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Running the fan all the time uses electricity. But if you have lots of power, that's not a problem.

Here is another idea -- this should increase the efficiency of the airflow. It's a flue deflector:

Flue deflector -- DIY

It should reduce (or in my case eliminate) the need for fans to improve airflow.

Good luck!

This Deflector is great. BUT, that post is when you have an upper door access. Most RV refers have no upper door but a roof top vent. It is hard to see the roof top vent type install without pulling the refer out of the cabinet. Almost ALL RV refers need one similiar to that deflector. The problem with rear Hot air is that open area above the refer. This allows some of the hot exhaust air to stagnate in that open air and causes lack of free flow of air. If you refer did NOT come with a outside rear cooling fan, it was not needed for correct factory installs and regular Hot temp operation. IF you have NO roof vent but 2 side access doors(upper and lower) you NEED a fan above the rear back condensing fins blowing air OUT the upper door. This is what that link for the deflector the guy should have added. Just having a fan blowing from the bottom below the Fins thru the fins will not adequately exhaust the hot air out the upper side access door. Adding a fan for roof top exhaust(blowing up thru the bottom of the fins also helps if your refer did not come with a OEM fan. One problem people have with RV refers is, they may have a slight blockage in the cooling unit caused by years of those short times the refer was run off level. NOTHING you do will restore complete cooling. You can make it better but will never respond like a unpartial blocked CU.

pulpwood007

Hemphill, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the good information. I'm aware of correct installation procedures and venting. As per the OP I'd really like to hear about running fans continuously or intermittent.

My previous trailer had 3 X 140mm computer fans pulling air out of the exhaust continuous and it worked pretty good. I'm interested if "only" using fans during the cooling cycle would be better.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed the roof top vent to secure the metal duct. It wasn't that hard.
I installed high density foam board just above the lower access vent door to force more air through the cooling unit. Attached to out structure with Liquid Nails.
The void above the refer without the deflector is a big problem.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got my fridge in the slide, so it has the top side vent. When I first fired up the fridge, it didn't cool that well, and that top vent area was really HOT running on gas or electric.

I got this dual fan setup and hacked it in. It has wired control unit to adjust the fan speed, set it on a timed run, or on all the time or auto which uses a temp sensor. Works great and I just put the control unit in the lower vent access as I didn't want to mess with cutting holes in the wall and once I set it on auto and the fridge is on, I just want it running anyway.

It does turn the fans off when the fridge cycles off, so that's 'cool'..

[image]

It runs on 12v and I just tapped into the 12v leads from the wiring to the fridge in the lower access.

I don't have an internal fan. Have not felt the need for that. Keeps the fridge and BEER nice and cold. In the 36-38* range, even on hot days.

Keeping the inside of the rig cool (running the A/C) helps a lot too.

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Refrigerator cooling question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.