Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sad state of national parks and public lands.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

 > Sad state of national parks and public lands.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/04/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our way to Lassen Volcanic National Park.

On a national forest rest stop and vista point, wifey went to the rest room.

But it was posted "Closed due to lack of funding."

And down on these national forest roads are trucks barreling down with full loads of logged timbers on the national forest.

It's not hard to do the math that one of those trucks can. pay for the maintenance of that entire rest stop and the rest rooms.

Bigly sad!

2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/04/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm.. who's not appropriating the funds? Or did they mix up the Funding and the Covid signs?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/04/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Hmmm.. who's not appropriating the funds? Or did they mix up the Funding and the Covid signs?


I'm sure it's not Covid related as the entire national forest has been open since Memorial Day.

But if I understand federal budgeting correctly, all revenues goes to federal treasury, then funds goes down to agencies.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Online
Posted: 06/04/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Hmmm.. who's not appropriating the funds? Or did they mix up the Funding and the Covid signs?


I'm sure it's not Covid related as the entire national forest has been open since Memorial Day.

But if I understand federal budgeting correctly, all revenues goes to federal treasury, then funds goes down to agencies.

And in this country, it's the Congress that controls the purse. Call them and complain.

2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/04/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

it's the Congress that controls the purse. Call them and complain.
Seek outside counsel.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/04/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A repost of a zapped story because it quote what might be a very slightly political post.

Talked to a few rangers including from our camping last year. When asked everyone confirmed the dearth of funds and lack of support "up there" while I point out unmaintained and deteriorating conditions and facilities.

When I was in the national forest last week, one ranger said that they have to tip toe over for-profit private contractors using and harvesting from public national forest resources.

In fact, I noticed a huge tree recently cut near the road. Obviously, it is not shading any other small tree for it to be part of the thinning and there are no signs of bark beetle infestations for it to be felled for reasons of disease. I asked a ranger and told him my observations. He did not answer and just shrugged his shoulders with facial expressions of despair.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/04/20 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

it's the Congress that controls the purse. Call them and complain.
Seek outside counsel.


Partly true, but Executive proposes and Congress disposes.

In fact, national budget is the blueprint of the present administration's budgetary and economic priorities.

* This post was edited 06/04/20 07:34pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

dave54

Northeast CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/04/20 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were the log trucks from National Forest timber sales or private lands?

Who is responsible for the rest room -- Forest Service or Caltrans under a cost share agreement?


=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/04/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave54 wrote:

Were the log trucks from National Forest timber sales or private lands?

Who is responsible for the rest room -- Forest Service or Caltrans under a cost share agreement?


Definitely national forest as a forest ranger was the one putting in entry barriers and road warnings while the logging is going on.

The signs are on Forest Service logo. If it's joint, both logo would appear, I would think.

But how is that an issue when we already know on the news of the budget cuts on national parks and forests? This is just a confirmation.

Same thing I've seen in Olympic National Park and Yosemite last year.

J herb

So. Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 03/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/05/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

On our way to Lassen Volcanic National Park.

On a national forest rest stop and vista point, wifey went to the rest room.

But it was posted "Closed due to lack of funding."

And down on these national forest roads are trucks barreling down with full loads of logged timbers on the national forest.

It's not hard to do the math that one of those trucks can. pay for the maintenance of that entire rest stop and the rest rooms.

Bigly sad!


We have seen this around the PNW forest with some campgrounds closing early or no services at tourist areas that used to have them.

AT Union Creek Oregon on the way to Crater Lake NP. the restrooms have not been clean up for a few years now, no trash cans so the trash goes on the ground. ( Thanks to the Rogue River NF. )

To take care of this problem I got a cargo van and converted it to a camper van so we have our potty with us all the time, and we use it to tow our trailer for longer trips.


J herb


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

 > Sad state of national parks and public lands.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.