Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sad state of national parks and public lands.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of national parks and public lands.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Nothing political, just data and info, the current administration cut National Park's budget by 13% where they are saying that they are already behind in repairs and maintenance -- something that obvious and we are seeing.

And of course, by logic, if you are behind in those areas, how can you even do improvements?

The NPS requested less money in the FY2020 budget documents. I could not find an explanation why they requested less money from FY2019. I can only speculate a realignment of some programs meant they could get by with less, but I really do not know.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a general lack of knowledge among lay people of how government budgets work. It is not like your household budget.

Suppose you budget $300 this month for fuel for your family car. In most months that comes pretty close. About the middle of the month you realize you are driving a lot less, and the price of fuel is way down. So you are halfway through the month and you have only spent $75. You think to yourself “This is great! I can use the savings to buy a new grill for my RV.” That is reasonable, and most people would congratulate you on your financial savvy.

The government cannot do that. If you ran your finances the way the government is mandated, you cannot spend the fuel savings on anything else. That money is for fuel and can only be spent on fuel. That you have money left over in your fuel budget while your grill has died and no longer usable is irrelevant. You are forbidden by law to spend the surplus in your fuel account on a new grill. You cannot even go to the gas station on the last day of the month and top off your tanks in anticipation of a fuel price increase and a big trip next month. That is not allowed either.

This is an oversimplification, but it illustrates the point. Funds allocated for one purpose cannot be used for other purposes (thank you Al Gore…).

There is very little wiggle room to reallocate funds. Sometimes the regulations allow, say, 10% of program A funds may be spent on program B, and 15% of program B may be spent with an equal amount from program C on a joint project, if it can be completed within this fiscal year. A good agency budget analyst is a valuable person in these cases, knowing how to move funding around to where needed while staying within the law. There is still a very limited amount of creative accounting you can get away with, though.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave54 wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Nothing political, just data and info, the current administration cut National Park's budget by 13% where they are saying that they are already behind in repairs and maintenance -- something that obvious and we are seeing.

And of course, by logic, if you are behind in those areas, how can you even do improvements?

The NPS requested less money in the FY2020 budget documents. I could not find an explanation why they requested less money from FY2019. I can only speculate a realignment of some programs meant they could get by with less, but I really do not know.

Good you italicized the "requested".

It's must be like our budgeting process for a global multinational company I worked for.

HQ, in the government, federal bosses, will mandate say, 3% reduction in overhead across the board for everyone.

That's an no-if-or-but mandate, so we incorporate that in our budget. Our only option is to make that reduction in the account or budget line item we want.

So when we finalize the budget, the "request" has that 3% reduction.

Armand_C

Westwood, Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

On our way to Lassen Volcanic National Park.

On a national forest rest stop and vista point, wifey went to the rest room.

But it was posted "Closed due to lack of funding."

And down on these national forest roads are trucks barreling down with full loads of logged timbers on the national forest.

It's not hard to do the math that one of those trucks can. pay for the maintenance of that entire rest stop and the rest rooms.

Bigly sad!

Interesting, I live near Lassen National Park, and all UFSF land on the Lassen National Forest is closed due to COVID. I'm curious why the sign would say due to lack of funds. Which National Forest was that? Lassen NF? or Shasta NF? they both have boundaries near the park. The latest update on opening is through June 11, 2020, so we'll see what happens. They've already extended the closure twice.

2021 Grand Design Reflection

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Armand_C wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

And down on these national forest roads are trucks barreling down with full loads of logged timbers on the national forest.

It's not hard to do the math that one of those trucks can. pay for the maintenance of that entire rest stop and the rest rooms.

Bigly sad!

Interesting, I live near Lassen National Park, and all UFSF land on the Lassen National Forest is closed due to COVID. I'm curious why the sign would say due to lack of funds. Which National Forest was that? Lassen NF? or Shasta NF? they both have boundaries near the park. The latest update on opening is through June 11, 2020, so we'll see what happens. They've already extended the closure twice.

Please read the order and you will see that NOT "all Lassen NF land is closed", in fact the closures are for the "land" just some recreation sites. There are some developed recreation sites still open even.

Perhaps the lack of funding signs were posted last fall and then never removed this spring due to covid.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/lassen/alerts-notices

* This post was edited 06/10/20 10:22am by cptqueeg *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Armand_C wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Bigly sad!

We camped in Eaglee Lake Campground and all others are open since Memorial Day.

We see a posting that Manzanita in Lassen Volcanic National Park opening June 1 (I have not updated myself if they did).

The posted toilet is definitely within the National Forest as it's the only one between Old Station and Lassen Volcanic National Park entrance. If it's closed for Covid, it would have stated so. Logically, why bother to give another reason?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of national parks and public lands.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.