Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: missing shore line
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> missing shore line

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tk85

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good afternoon, I am new to the forum so please bear with me. I just bought a 1985 Elkhart Traveler 5th wheel. It has pass through several hands. My question is about the main power box it seem that someone has removed the shore cord. I have a large cable running from what appears to be the converter to the main power box but it is not hooked up- the cable is made up of four wires 1-black, 1-red, 1-white, 1-copper. The main breaker in the box is a 40amp breaker. Now what I need to know is if you hook these four wires up to the main breaker, how and where do you hook up the wires for the shore line. A diagram would be a big big help, but if someone could give me some instructions on how to hook these wires up that to would be awesome. Thanks

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bare wire goes to ground buss
White wire goes to the neutral buss.
Black and red connect to wire lugs of the 40 ampere breaker
The shore power cord missing, sounds like the rig may have been setup for permanent wiring.
You will need to purchase a new shore power cord. One end has no connector, other end is a four wire male cord body. Standard is a fifty amp same as a range four wire connector.
A junction box is normally installed where the rig's wiring connects to the shore power cord.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tk85

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen, thank you for the information, but how do I get the new shore line hooked in to the power box, by way of a junction box

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the right side of the rig, there will be a compartment that has/had the shore power cord. You will need to locate that. The cable maybe still there that goes to the panel with the 120/240 volt circuit breakers in it. Cable should be 6/3 with ground range cable.
Locate the rig's model number and post. Someone here may have the exact or similar model. I would be able to go online and search for pictures of the rig.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wires from the converter would not hook to the main breaker. Are you sure it's just a converter or did a previous owner install an inverter/charger with a transfer switch?
The shore cord hooks to the main breaker unless you also have a transfer switch for use of an onboard generator or an inverter.
The wires you describe, since there are a black and a red, would normally indicate a 240v/120v circuit. That is highly unusual for a converter. I strongly suspect it's an inverter/charger. In that case, your shore cord probably connects to it and the wire you have, being the inverter/charger's output, would hook to your main breaker.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Red and black are the normal phase conductors in range cable along with white neutral and bare ground. Range Romex 6/3 with ground is commonly used in fifty amp 120/240 shore power cable.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post make and model of what you are calling the "converter"
Make and model of power center.
Photos would be of help!

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/20 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upload your photos to this site and copy the photo's new link, then on this site click "advanced post form" and insert the link in your post using the yellow 'image' button.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/20 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of things wrong with your explanation.

Converter should be connected 3 wire cable (black, white, copper/green)

Main breaker should be 30 amp or if there are two mains they should be 50 amps each. (no 40 amp)

We really need a picture of the breakers or at least a model number of the panel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

The wires from the converter would not hook to the main breaker. Are you sure it's just a converter or did a previous owner install an inverter/charger with a transfer switch?
The shore cord hooks to the main breaker unless you also have a transfer switch for use of an onboard generator or an inverter.
The wires you describe, since there are a black and a red, would normally indicate a 240v/120v circuit. That is highly unusual for a converter. I strongly suspect it's an inverter/charger. In that case, your shore cord probably connects to it and the wire you have, being the inverter/charger's output, would hook to your main breaker.

Converter and Inverter do not hook to the breaker box main. Converter is fed from a 15 amp breaker in the box. Converter then goes to the 12 volt DC buss to provide 12 volts to lights and control circuits and also charges the battery. The INverter is connected to the battery on one side and to 120 volt loads on the other side.The large wire is the Shore Power cord.It goes from the ped to the main breaker. Sometimes via a TS.Converter/charger does the work of both.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> missing shore line
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.