Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is anyone here into surf fishing?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Is anyone here into surf fishing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
donfla

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to surf fish regularly years ago and did again for the first time a couple weeks ago just north of St. Augustine, FL catching what I believe was a juvenile manta ray and that was exciting.

What I’m getting seriously interested in is using a drone to drop the line and here’s a quick 2 minute YouTube to explain the idea getting out deep and beyond the breakers depending on the day’s surf conditions.

https://youtu.be/oMEQX7sRk6Y

I’m completely new to drones but was into RC cars and trucks years ago and this video isn’t showing the specific model I’m interested in just the idea I’m starting to research.

* This post was edited 06/07/20 05:09pm by donfla *

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an interesting idea, and probably fun to play with.

But I doubt that it is beneficial to catching fish. Probably just more a distraction than anything.

People new to fishing, maybe not catching much, tend to think that if they could just cast farther their luck would improve. It rarely helps. I've watched people casting as far as they could heave, not realizing that they were casting right over where the fish were feeding, which tends to be nearer to shore where the food sources are better.

I'm mostly a freshwater fisher, but have surf fished in my younger days. And I think the same thing is true. The fish you are targeting are likely feeding right IN the surf foam. That's were the worms, sand crabs, and other prey are found.

That's my thoughts. But hey, drones are still cool.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds cool - I was surf fishing across from North Beach Camp Resort just last week. We love that place.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

donfla

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here the way the beach conditions change within a few miles is interesting and see this as a major advantage depending on what you’re hunting for. I’ve done a fair about of freshwater fishing here in FL and by far enjoy surf and inshore saltwater the most. But I would take freshwater over offshore having done that many times.

Had to look up North Beach Camp Resort and it looks nice! Years ago we camped at a place called Beverly Beach Camptown in Flagler county and while the sites are tight besides a seawall you are on the beach. When our oldest was around 4 we caught 7 small sharks in the surf there with the largest probably under 3’ and a mix of black tip and bonnethead, and that was cool. Just looking into it but Volusia county has a commercial fishing permit that allows after hours beach driving access for surf fishing if you take their turtle conservation course and my wife and I are planning on doing that.

cohendan

Duarte, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds fun but I don't know if I have the skills for it.

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cohendan wrote:

That sounds fun but I don't know if I have the skills for it.

Not many skills required. Just bait the hook walk into the water waist deep and cast it as far as you can. Sit back and wait for a hit. Any way that's how my wife and I would do it. I baited the hook cast it and she did the rest

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/20 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or you could do it like DW's step dad.
Walk to the edge of the water but do not get your sandals wet.
Cast with all of your strength, maybe 40 feet.
Walk back up the beach to your chair, maybe 40 feet.
Make everybody walking the beach go way around you or get tangled up.
The bait is now laying on the sand where only sea gulls can get it, and they do. Bait, hook, line, and sometimes the rod.
I can't even watch.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some folks that are catching even halibut up here (AK) by surf casting. Takes some doing and a willingness to stand for a while in the wave zone, but interesting. My friend pulled an 80#'er out last weekend.

I believe, haven't confirmed, that Fish & Game would view drone use as prohibited.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is legal here in CA, at least for freshwater. I'm pretty sure for saltwater too. I read a Q&A by a game warden recently that confirmed the legality. It will vary by state though.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

It's an interesting idea, and probably fun to play with.

But I doubt that it is beneficial to catching fish. Probably just more a distraction than anything.

People new to fishing, maybe not catching much, tend to think that if they could just cast farther their luck would improve. It rarely helps. I've watched people casting as far as they could heave, not realizing that they were casting right over where the fish were feeding, which tends to be nearer to shore where the food sources are better.

I'm mostly a freshwater fisher, but have surf fished in my younger days. And I think the same thing is true. The fish you are targeting are likely feeding right IN the surf foam. That's were the worms, sand crabs, and other prey are found.

That's my thoughts. But hey, drones are still cool.

There are fish and sharks outside of the first 2 or 3 sets of breakers well out of casting range. People have drug baits out in canoes, with kites, and swim out to rocks in dry suits w submersible reels to reach further and have had great success.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Is anyone here into surf fishing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.