Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Air bag question and suspension in general I guess
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Air bag question and suspension in general I guess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Front weight with TC are non-essentials, but I see you have only 500 lb spare weight on the rear.
600lb tongue with 2' extension will add 800-900lb.
Did you have food and beverages in the camper?
So even when you go with trailer extension to avoid stinger and lower the tongue by moving the boat back, there is no way you will not exceed axle rating.
Will you still stay within tire rating?

I need to get the trailer weighed so we are working with real numbers. Hopefully this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Food and beverage not included. If I load correctly, I should see the weight be forward of the axle. Not a solve, but still better than aft.

I will not exceed tire rating. They are 3750 per so I have nearly 2K lbs before the boat trailer goes on.

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Do you subtract the tire/wheel weight from the axle weight to understand the true load since it is unsprung weight?

Weights are taken at the ground/tire interface.
With the older trucks with 16" tires and wheels it was generally tires were the weak link.
Later model trucks it can be a rear spring pack or a OEM wheel as the weak link.

Your weights look fine.

Air bags ??
They worked great on a couple of my one ton drws pulling heavy GN trailers at max rear axle loads. We ran just enough psi to level the truck. Some rear suspension can sag....while another different brand/year model won't. Scale house DOT gets nosy if the truck sags a bit. Bags leveled the truck and no more park it around back. Usually around 20-25 psi worked fine

I tried bags at 50-55 psi on a crew cab Ford long bed with a 10' 6" truck camper to help level the load. Lots of sway so I sold the bags to one of my drivers and had a spring shop upgrade the rear spring packs. Rock solid .

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have zero to worry about.
Your truck is a little under 3klbs on the rear axle, empty, so the camper is sitting at about 2600-2800 lbs now.
With all your stuff in it ready to roll, worst case it’s maybe 3800lbs.
Unless you collect a lot of rocks.....dont laugh, some do, lol lol.
Load up some stuff. Make some temporary spring wedges and see if that’s enough support. It may be. If it is, that and a sway bar and you’ll be golden.
Adding the boat, you might think about adding something else non elaborate. Simple airbags, bolt on helper spring or Timbrens. IF you need them.
You won’t get an appreciable amount of weight on the front axle. Not worth the pain of trying. Best case only a few hundred lbs will be on the front axle since it’s a short Bed truck.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that most people put far too much pressure in air bags and then complain about them. It’s probably not their fault. My “dealer” suggested I needed 90 lbs in mine. Uh, off by 50 lbs even with extended bump stops on my SRW F350. I usually only run 20-30 lbs in mine. Just enough to soften the ride and provide leveling.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking OP should see if a 3500 leaf pack with upper overloads will be easy to fit to his 2500. Then his empty ride won't suffer as much. I need to hunt down a C&C pack myself as it has 3 uppers vs my single. That would make me less bag dependent. I air mine up around 90 and I'm still on the overloads. Just have 2 valve stems screwed into the fuel cap area. Having bags and upper overloads also helps spread the weight over more than just 2 points per side.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I think that most people put far too much pressure in air bags and then complain about them. It’s probably not their fault. My “dealer” suggested I needed 90 lbs in mine. Uh, off by 50 lbs even with extended bump stops on my SRW F350. I usually only run 20-30 lbs in mine. Just enough to soften the ride and provide leveling.

You're right in that too much air in the bags reduces ride quality, specifically side to side rocking, but note you're starting with a 1-ton truck. The OP is hoping to use airbags on a 2500. I like to fill the bags until the truck is just lifted off the overloads then let air out until the overloads are both engaged. Before I added the Load Pro's that took over 60 lbs. After the Load Pro's I use less than 30 and the ride is much better.

To the OP, may I also suggest better shocks. The OEM shocks on my truck were pathetic. I replaced them with KYB Monomax and that significantly reduced the rocking. Since you're planning to use the truck as a daily driver adjustable Ranchos may be a better choice for you.

PS: Another way to improve unloaded ride is to lower your tire pressure. You don't need 80 psi in the rears of an unloaded truck and that alone will take a lot of harshness out of the ride.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dually spring pack is an option if you want to do a little work.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DWeikert wrote:

To the OP, may I also suggest better shocks. The OEM shocks on my truck were pathetic. I replaced them with KYB Monomax and that significantly reduced the rocking. Since you're planning to use the truck as a daily driver adjustable Ranchos may be a better choice for you.

PS: Another way to improve unloaded ride is to lower your tire pressure. You don't need 80 psi in the rears of an unloaded truck and that alone will take a lot of harshness out of the ride.

To be fair. I drive an 88 Suburban a lot which is stiff as hell.

Shocks are bilsteins so already upgraded somewhat. Lowering air pressure is also key in the off season.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

On my old F-250 I added 3500# Helwig helper springs to haul a big fifth wheel around but I also had two different 8.6 inch truck campers on it and I didn't ad anymore mods for the truck campers and it rode and drove just fine..

The recent 3500 DRW truck I bought had air bags on it,I wish it didn't really..L

What does it matter? It’s not like you have to use them.
He!! Remove em and sell em if they bother you....

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking more into the spring route.

Hellwig has a 2500 and a 3500 overload spring pack. They recommended the 3500 version since the camper plus projected weight gets us close to 3000 lbs. Not sure if that is the right way to look at it, but I have no reason to doubt their recommendation.

Those, plus a sway bar seems to be a pretty good setup ata cost effective price.

Benefit to adding the Torklift stable load too?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Air bag question and suspension in general I guess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.