Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford delays Electric F150 to mid 2022
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford delays Electric F150 to mid 2022

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I have to say I do not enjoy the look of the Tesla truck. And you all pretty much know I'm a BEV fanatic! I'm amazed at 500,000 reservations.

Heh heh. It kinda grows on you. It’s more of a function over form thing for some.

Kind of looks like something that might grow on you and not in a nice way. Any pickup bed that can only be accessed by lowering the tailgate is not function over form IMO.

The tonneau cover is power and rolls up at the push of a button. Most taller trucks nowadays don’t get accessed from the side anymore anyway.

T.

The bed sides on the Tesla are so high you can't reach over them. I access my bed from the side all the time and the last thing I want to do is put down the tailgate and climb over everything in the bed just to reach some small object in the front or get access to the bed box.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

ha... I'll get an electric F150 right after I get a diesel one.... Which is never... But, I said I wouldn't get a V6 turbo either.... ha, ha... Guess will just wait and see and not worry about it in between..

Mitch

That's a good point. When this forum was new, (2000ish I think) if someone had suggested that in 20 years the preferred towing motor in an F150 would be a turbocharged V6, they would have been shouted down with arguments based on current thinking. We'll see what the next 20 bring.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I have to say I do not enjoy the look of the Tesla truck. And you all pretty much know I'm a BEV fanatic! I'm amazed at 500,000 reservations.

Heh heh. It kinda grows on you. It’s more of a function over form thing for some.

Kind of looks like something that might grow on you and not in a nice way. Any pickup bed that can only be accessed by lowering the tailgate is not function over form IMO.

The tonneau cover is power and rolls up at the push of a button. Most taller trucks nowadays don’t get accessed from the side anymore anyway.

T.

The bed sides on the Tesla are so high you can't reach over them. I access my bed from the side all the time and the last thing I want to do is put down the tailgate and climb over everything in the bed just to reach some small object in the front or get access to the bed box.

Ahh yes. Cybertruck would not be a candidate for you. We had a dually so never accessed the box from the side.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those that follow EVs closely, any good speculation about when Rivian will go public?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

MitchF150 wrote:

ha... I'll get an electric F150 right after I get a diesel one.... Which is never... But, I said I wouldn't get a V6 turbo either.... ha, ha... Guess will just wait and see and not worry about it in between..

Mitch

That's a good point. When this forum was new, (2000ish I think) if someone had suggested that in 20 years the preferred towing motor in an F150 would be a turbocharged V6, they would have been shouted down with arguments based on current thinking. We'll see what the next 20 bring.

I was one that would have laughed at having a V-6 tow vehicle but my daily driver was a half ton GMC with a 4.3 at the time so I had good reason.
The old adage comes to mind, Never Say Never.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Between the change in the political winds, low gas prices and risk of introducing a problematic drivetrain if they don't fully vette it (think 6.0)...it was likely a good decision.

Honestly, I would think a plub-in-hybrid pickup in the low payload/towing range would be pretty straight forward and would be a winner. Most people don't use the full capability anyway but with say a 200hp 4 banger and a 50 mile battery (easily placed under the truck bed), you could commute most days and when you do have a weekend camping trip range isn't an issue. They could easily maintain 1500lb payload and say a 5000lb tow rating. All without driving the price thru the roof.

This also addresses any concerns with battery supply limitations as they would only need a fraction of the capacity.

Done properly, it would have monster performance loaded and unloaded.

It would take a little more ground up redesign but no reason, you couldn't eventually take the same idea up into the 3/4 & 1 ton truck range.

Probably a good compromise. But I would think a little risky as well. Hybrids have been a hard sell lately and their market share is dropping over BEV’s. Might be a short term stop gap and would make the transition easier though. And it would allow for the DCFC infrastructure to build out a bit. They have to watch it though. There is going to be lots of places that won’t allow the sale of anything with a tail pipe by 2030. And even more places (cities) that won’t allow any vehicle with a tail pipe to travel.

Full size pickups are largely a US thing, so no worries about prohibiting tail pipes any time soon (plus 2030 is a decade away).

Also, it's a little early to claim dominance for EVs. In 2019, there were a little over 300,000 EVs sold in the USA, still heavily influenced by incentives and govt mandates on manufacturers. Toyota alone sold almost 300,000 hybrids in the USA during that same time period without incentives.

Also, you need to consider most households that buy EVs still have a ICE based car for longer trips...that's usually the pickup or big SUV. A plug-in-hybrid allows them to keep that truck for it's intended purpose and still get 95% of miles under electric.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Between the change in the political winds, low gas prices and risk of introducing a problematic drivetrain if they don't fully vette it (think 6.0)...it was likely a good decision.

Honestly, I would think a plub-in-hybrid pickup in the low payload/towing range would be pretty straight forward and would be a winner. Most people don't use the full capability anyway but with say a 200hp 4 banger and a 50 mile battery (easily placed under the truck bed), you could commute most days and when you do have a weekend camping trip range isn't an issue. They could easily maintain 1500lb payload and say a 5000lb tow rating. All without driving the price thru the roof.

This also addresses any concerns with battery supply limitations as they would only need a fraction of the capacity.

Done properly, it would have monster performance loaded and unloaded.

It would take a little more ground up redesign but no reason, you couldn't eventually take the same idea up into the 3/4 & 1 ton truck range.

Probably a good compromise. But I would think a little risky as well. Hybrids have been a hard sell lately and their market share is dropping over BEV’s. Might be a short term stop gap and would make the transition easier though. And it would allow for the DCFC infrastructure to build out a bit. They have to watch it though. There is going to be lots of places that won’t allow the sale of anything with a tail pipe by 2030. And even more places (cities) that won’t allow any vehicle with a tail pipe to travel.

Full size pickups are largely a US thing, so no worries about prohibiting tail pipes any time soon (plus 2030 is a decade away).

Also, it's a little early to claim dominance for EVs. In 2019, there were a little over 300,000 EVs sold in the USA, still heavily influenced by incentives and govt mandates on manufacturers. Toyota alone sold almost 300,000 hybrids in the USA during that same time period without incentives.

Also, you need to consider most households that buy EVs still have a ICE based car for longer trips...that's usually the pickup or big SUV. A plug-in-hybrid allows them to keep that truck for it's intended purpose and still get 95% of miles under electric.

No doubt. But, in my mind they need to be planning for the inebidible 9.5 years away. Although Europe is not a full size pickup market Britain is and we see them there commonly. GM and Ford lose market share every year for various reasons. EV growth is pretty consistent. I know nothing about the auto industry but would think Ford would want to be part of a growing market. Or maybe they have a different business plan. Who knows.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would be in on Bollinger or Rivian long before F150 or Cybertruck.

Bollinger says it can be towed 4 down, Rivian will initially have more range.

Badger is going to carry hydrogen so that is out for me.

Hummer EV not really on the list either.

Any others?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I think I would be in on Bollinger or Rivian long before F150 or Cybertruck.

Bollinger says it can be towed 4 down, Rivian will initially have more range.

Badger is going to carry hydrogen so that is out for me.

Hummer EV not really on the list either.

Any others?

Not sure. But I would lean towards Rivian being out first as they seem to be well funded...and pretty close to production. They also have a pretty conventional design which will be attractive to the Ford F150 crowd. I can see Ford taking a beating if they are out with a pickup first.

Bollinger seems to be flying under the radar. Not sure what to expect there.

Cybertruck is coming from an established and proven EV brand but doesn't have a factory yet. Factories take time to build and ramp up. Could be longer wait than there projections.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford delays Electric F150 to mid 2022
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.