Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Towing Travel Trailers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed 5th ws, TTs for over 50 yrs. I prefer TTs because I haul a lot of stuff in the p/up bed and I have a canopy on the bed. I have a 34 ft TT at the present time and use the Equalizer 4 point hitch. I also have the Hensley which I found to be too much trouble to hook up and no better than the Equalizer. I have never had a problem towing either the 5th ws nor TT, never had an accident or a ticket in over 65 ys..If you have your truck properly equipped it will tow the TT as well as the 5th w. I towed a 40 ft 5th w one summer and it did not tow any better than my 34 ft TT. I felt safe towing either one

samsontdog">">

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a nice floorplan for sure, and at that length nothing is more important than having enough truck. If the dry weight you stated is from the brochure, you will find the actual sticker weight to be higher leaving the factory. Make sure you get a quality WD hitch with integrated sway control, many have already been mentioned above.

That being said, a WD/SC hitch must be installed and dialed in properly for best results, might take a few trys before you get it just right. We tow a long TT and sway is not an issue for us, and the wind tends to blow with quite a bit of force in our neck of the woods. Nothing is more paramount when pulling a sizable rig than overall towing comfort.

264SRinPA

northeast Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 38' Grand Design Reflection travel trailer. Looking at the model you're interested in, make sure you have at least a 3/4 ton truck. Grand Designs tend to be tongue heavy. Get at least a 1200lb or 1400lb Equal-i-zer hitch. The tongue weight on our Reflection is about 1800lbs. Don't let the dealer talk you into anything less.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will throw in my vote for BlueOx sway pro. My travel Trailer is just a bit loner at almost 37'. Once you learn the little tricks like using the tongue jack to take weight off the bars, the swaypro is super easy to connect it works very well. Very little sway. Strong winds and tractor trailer passing will push/pull side to side but it does it to the entire rig including the truck which makes it much easier to manage vs when the trailer starts swaying.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience has been to get the hitch set up right and you won't have any issues. The mechanic at CW set up our hitch in 2017 when we bought a new TT. They got it right. We've towed many miles since 2017 with no memorable white knuckle moments, other than the massive pot hole we hit a couple of Saturdays ago on the way to the beach. Been passed by speeding semi's and been in storms with crosswinds. No issues. I'm a big time DIY guy but, I don't trust myself to set up a WD hitch and get it right.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing Travel Trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.