Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Wheel Bearing Repack
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel Bearing Repack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, link doesn't work....
Search on NAPA's website with the part number and it'll come up.

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

No, link doesn't work....
Search on NAPA's website with the part number and it'll come up.

It appears the part # is no good.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Please post the part number used.

"$272 for double lip seals from NAPA."

Napa part no. 27SS4081

Here's a link to it.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/OSQ27SS4081
Here's a link to it,

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Please post the part number used.

"$272 for double lip seals from NAPA."

Napa part no. 27SS4081

Here's a link to it.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/OSQ27SS4081
Here's a link to it,

Thats not an oil bath seal, why are we talking about oil bath seals ?? It's the same 7K axle seal as the Dexter double lip seal 010-036 ,same dimensions 3.371 diameter 2.25 shaft diameter, very common seal, can get just about anywhere . The one I always used for my 7K axles

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link looks the same as my National seals.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pulpwood007

Hemphill, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

I just got an estimate from the local Goodyear dealer for $275 including seals. He is old school and honest. If they're Chinese bearings, I'll have him replace them with Timkens if they're available.
JK

Just updating my own post. I had it done and it was $437. $165 labor, and $272 for double lip seals from NAPA.

It's really difficult for me to imagine a wheel bearing seal costing $70 each. I'm pretty diligent concerning maintaining my bearings, using Timkens, which I check annually. I have used no-name double lip seals, probably made in China for 12 years with zero issues. I pay $6 each and replace them every 2 years when I pull and clean bearings. I have never had an issue or a grease leak yet.

This is just my experience and your results may vary.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pulpwood007 wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

I just got an estimate from the local Goodyear dealer for $275 including seals. He is old school and honest. If they're Chinese bearings, I'll have him replace them with Timkens if they're available.
JK

Just updating my own post. I had it done and it was $437. $165 labor, and $272 for double lip seals from NAPA.

It's really difficult for me to imagine a wheel bearing seal costing $70 each. I'm pretty diligent concerning maintaining my bearings, using Timkens, which I check annually. I have used no-name double lip seals, probably made in China for 12 years with zero issues. I pay $6 each and replace them every 2 years when I pull and clean bearings. I have never had an issue or a grease leak yet.

This is just my experience and your results may vary.

My results don't vary, same as yours, using the Dexter seals , now around $9 ea. Last time I bought them they were less then that. Dexter axles are made in the US, I suspect so does the seals, will have to check next time . Also a double lip seal, and have never had any grease get by them, but then again I don't blindly pump grease into those easy lube bearings either . I never use that feature. I suspect thats where some get into trouble with blowing grease past the seals .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

My results don't vary, same as yours, using the Dexter seals , now around $9 ea. Last time I bought them they were less then that. Dexter axles are made in the US, I suspect so does the seals, will have to check next time . Also a double lip seal, and have never had any grease get by them, but then again I don't blindly pump grease into those easy lube bearings either . I never use that feature. I suspect thats where some get into trouble with blowing grease past the seals .
FWIW, if the sealing surface of the shaft isn't damaged, you're not going to "blow grease past the seals" if you follow the instructions.

IMO the EZ Lube feature isn't really needed, but it only causes trouble when there are other issues.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

FWIW, if the sealing surface of the shaft isn't damaged, you're not going to "blow grease past the seals" if you follow the instructions.

IMO the EZ Lube feature isn't really needed, but it only causes trouble when there are other issues.

Key word , follow .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Key word , follow .
Yes, that's true. But from my experience, not the most in the world mind you, the bearings will probably fail due to poor assembly where ever they are put together. When I examined mine I was chagrined to discover all the nicks and gouges on the sealing and bearing surfaces of the axle shafts. On a couple of them a half-inch or less closer to the seal lip and it would have been damaged and a potential leak created. I checked them all after that discovery and used a hard stone to deburr and smooth the bearing and sealing surfaces. A poor, poor job was done assembling them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel Bearing Repack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.