Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Harbor Freight has lifetime warranty on hand tools
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Harbor Freight has lifetime warranty on hand tools

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how I came across this and to be honest, I really don't shop there, however I thought that maybe some members might...

I was browsing using Chrome with UBlock, so I can't say if ads are going to be on the site. I believe the site is affiliated with Readers Digest and should be safe.

Article on Family Handyman

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wish they sold iphones.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

Wish they sold iphones.

Phones and other com devices usually last just about as long as the warranty, or as long as the contract. Pick your poison.

If I believed in conspiracies, I'd think each one is programmed to fail a month or so beyond warranty or contract. I could show you a stack of worthless phones over the years as anecdotal evidence.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Cloud Dancer wrote:

Wish they sold iphones.

Phones and other com devices usually last just about as long as the warranty, or as long as the contract. Pick your poison.

If I believed in conspiracies, I'd think each one is programmed to fail a month or so beyond warranty or contract. I could show you a stack of worthless phones over the years as anecdotal evidence.

Yep, Apple wants that $1000 every two years. Mine is two years and a couple of months old, so they gave me the automatic system update with the poison pill. Just try to make contact by phone, website, text, AT&T or carrier pigeon to get the blasted thing to work.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lifetime warranty is useless if a tool breaks in the middle of a job. I live 2 hours from the nearest HF store. So if a tool breaks I have to drive 4 hours round trip to finish the job.

No thanks. I had the same problem with Craftsman tools when they were having their QC crisis. I now buy quality up front and not worry about it.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had some HF tools (impact socket set) that, although not used professionally, have lasted north of 30 years.

Other HF stuff has failed within 6 months.

If one had the magic wand and was buying tools today...what would be the brand to purchase?

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

donfla

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I probably have the same HF impact sockets in standard and metric still in their metal cases and they have worked fine in a non professional way here too. For work I’ve also bought odd tools, like large masonry bits for one use situations instead of investing in something a lot more expensive it could be many years if ever I’d use again.

I do agree in most professional situations if daily use quality tools are what you need HF wouldn’t be my choice. Didn’t know about their lifetime warranty so that was nice to hear about and we have multiple locations within a reasonable distance. Tractor Supply is another place I’ve found useful for things we don’t normally shop for the larger places don’t have in stock at the store.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave54 wrote:

A lifetime warranty is useless if a tool breaks in the middle of a job. I live 2 hours from the nearest HF store. So if a tool breaks I have to drive 4 hours round trip to finish the job.

No thanks. I had the same problem with Craftsman tools when they were having their QC crisis. I now buy quality up front and not worry about it.
I used to work with a guy that bought nothing but Snap On, and he usually had some tool to be replaced when he saw the guy next. Anything can break. I would never use HF tools where I used to work, but for occasional usage at home, much of their stuff is fine. FWIW I would buy few of their hand tools, most are 12 point and junk.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a 3/4 drive set at HF. Flex bar became mortally wounded so I was watching it close. Finally died. Tossed it in the seat and went down to the store and got a new one. Checking out I was making small talk with the clerk and said my other one broke. She asked if I had it and told me to bring it in. Swapped it out on the spot. I didn't tell her I had about 4 foot of pipe on the end of it.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've returned quite a few pry bars that bent or snapped. But they always exchanged it for something they called a screwdriver.[emoticon]

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Harbor Freight has lifetime warranty on hand tools
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.