Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Do You Trust Hitch Locks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Do You Trust Hitch Locks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm buying a tow bar to tow my Jeep behind my motorhome. I went to the auto parts store to buy a bolt to attach it to the receiver on the RV. The clerk showed me a product like this below which locks the tow bar to the receiver. I worry that the lock may fail or I might not close it correctly and it comes lose while I'm towing and I have to hope that my safety cables do their job. Are these the way to go or should I buy a tough nut and bolt to secure the hitch?

[image]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

There are pins that have a clip to secure them. The lock adds a hint of protection.

[image]

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be wrong here but I suspect that 99% of all draw bars are held on with a hitch pin of some sort whether locking or not instead of a nut and bolt. I use a locking type myself.

I use one like this as it keys to your ignition key
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Lock/Bolt/BL7018448.html

One less key to keep track of or lose. Not getting out of the driveway without the ignition key for the truck no matter what. They also make other types of locks that also use your ignition key.

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a hitch arm fail and bend over one of these Blue Ox pins. Hitch Pins To disconnect the toad I had to remove the locking end and pound the pin out but the key port was destroyed. It took a VERY large hammer, a very heavy drift and a LOT of pounding before the locking end finally let go. Once that end is properly locked on, It won't let go. Not sure about your pin pictured.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my ATV trailer I use a locking pin similar to those above, plus a hitch anti-rattle, Not so much for the anti-rattle, but as a secondary means of securing the hitch for added peace of mind.

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another method is to find small locks that fit the grooveon the hitch pin in pianotuna's post. I've got the same quandry with my tow setup; I want to lock everything that is in sight.
For the pins that are out of sight and won't be removed until the end of the towing session, I'll probably use lynch pins such as these on those hitch pins:

[image]

then wrap a stout wire tie around the pin and object to keep it in place.
My MH mounted Roadmaster is the crossbar type with these lynch pins; I have a pair of padlocks for them but need 4, and will have to lock the pin on the MH hitch as well.

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a regular pin with the hole in it. Buy a padlock and Drill out the pin to the size of the lock. I did this when I had my WD hitch on the Excursion.

I currently have a similar pin as you shown. Had it with our sleds and now for the towbar. Haven’t had an issue with it!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lock keeps some one from (as a prank ???) removing the pin while parked at rest area or at truck stop.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch the you tube video on how easy those are to pry off, I bought a brand called bolt from strattec. That you can key to your rv ignition key, now I don’t worry about losing the hitch key

Winnebago Access 24V

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travisc wrote:

Watch the you tube video on how easy those are to pry off, I bought a brand called bolt from strattec. That you can key to your rv ignition key, now I don’t worry about losing the hitch key

If they are easy to pry off then I won't worry much about losing the hitch key but it is a pain that I am accumulating more and more keys. My biggest concern is I don't want it to accidentally come off while towing and see my safety chains get tested. That's the point of my question, not so much the security from theft. It sounds like maybe it's more work for thieves to unscrew the nut and bolt than to pry off the lock?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Tow Bars

> Do You Trust Hitch Locks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.