Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

campigloo wrote:

I’ve had it happen a few times at private parks and public parks. For me it’s no big deal. I’d rather have them look or copy my dl than my card. THAT I would have a problem with.
They have a record of your card number the second it is used for a purchase. The only true firewall preventing your card from being compromised every time you use it is the fact that almost all people are not mastermind criminals. Bulk theft of card information is the big threat and that is generally accomplished by mastermind criminals often accompanied by lax digital security on the corporate level. The Russian mafia doesn't travel from RV park to RV park bribing reservation clerks to steal card numbers.

No kidding huh? I thought a major strategy from Moscow was to bring down the USA via rv parks.

DaveRVman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

wapiticountry wrote:

campigloo wrote:

I’ve had it happen a few times at private parks and public parks. For me it’s no big deal. I’d rather have them look or copy my dl than my card. THAT I would have a problem with.
They have a record of your card number the second it is used for a purchase. The only true firewall preventing your card from being compromised every time you use it is the fact that almost all people are not mastermind criminals. Bulk theft of card information is the big threat and that is generally accomplished by mastermind criminals often accompanied by lax digital security on the corporate level. The Russian mafia doesn't travel from RV park to RV park bribing reservation clerks to steal card numbers.

No kidding huh? I thought a major strategy from Moscow was to bring down the USA via rv parks.

Or the 18 year old sells the numbers & ID information to the deep web where people do pay for info and steal your identity.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaveRVman wrote:

Or the 18 year old sells the numbers & ID information to the deep web where people do pay for info and steal your identity.
But in the end, who cares. That theft is not “identity stealing” it is just your credit card being compromised. Happens all the time and the credit card companies are getting pretty good at catching it. Of course we end up paying for what they miss via their fees to vendors, but it’s a small price to pay verses using cash and catching a Corona virus. [emoticon]

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

DaveRVman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

DaveRVman wrote:

But in the end, who cares. That theft is not “identity stealing” it is just your credit card being compromised. Happens all the time and the credit card companies are getting pretty good at catching it. Of course we end up paying for what they miss via their fees to vendors, but it’s a small price to pay verses using cash and catching a Corona virus. [emoticon]

They have the card and your home address information. They know what you drive, what type of RV you have, and know what you look like. They know your hair & eye color, possibly that of your spouse, and if you have children. By your ring they know if you are married.

From the internet they can capture just about everywhere you've lived, your house value, along with the relatives in your home (and/or how many children you have).

With that information, they can go to Facebook, know where you work (or where you have worked), if you have a degree or not, etc.

They can pose as you, give fake names & registrations under your name, and in some cases even travel in different countries in your name. They attempt to get credit cards in your name, and most creditors start "locking stuff", pass fake checks in your name, etc. Insurance companies see the warnings on your credit.

Trust me, there are very good reasons you'd rather people NOT know you or much about you. It's not just a credit card getting compromised. You can even get your bank account locked (of course until you go in and "prove yourself")... Locked over and over again.

The worst part is they hang onto you... Then attempt as your spouse. One day your are "honest Dave" the next "suspicious ""Dave"" ".

Anyway, yes, we have made it a policy NOT to "show" ID if we absolutely don't have to. I'm to the point where I won't show it even to check in or the card (especially if they want a copy).

So it's great to hear most places simply just ask your name and check you in. [emoticon] Giving any more info and places you trade with, ID numbers etc is rough.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So tell me, how DO you pay for your camp site? If paying by credit card gives them too much information, you certainly won’t pay by check with your home address printed on it. Do you travel with a wad of cash and use an alias when checking in? I guess reservations are out of the question.

Dave

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using a Debit Card or writing a Check uses your money out of your bank account. A Credit Card uses the Bank's money, not your money. If your Debit Card, Check, or Credit Card gets compromised a wise person would it to be the bank's money stolen.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

So tell me, how DO you pay for your camp site? If paying by credit card gives them too much information, you certainly won’t pay by check with your home address printed on it. Do you travel with a wad of cash and use an alias when checking in? I guess reservations are out of the question.

Dave

I think it's kind of a philosophy the OP is posting. It's not that no information exchanges hands it's that he's interested in just paying and being left alone. Probably a paranoia of getting their ID on top of their CC.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When using federal discount card at campgrounds, my husband is required to show id to prove that he is the one using the discount. They have never taken a copy. There is 1 campground we have gone to for years that do not use a computer and they have a copy of his license. It was originally asked for and copied to apply the senior discount to the rates at their city park. Manager had to prove to the city that they were not applying the discount to people who didn't qualify for it.

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your address is public record and anyone can do a search for your home address. They don't need to get it off your license. Your property tax records are also public record along with the value of your house, when it was purchased, how much you paid etc. I am even aware of a way to get deceased persons social security numbers. If I were a scam artists I could use/have as many of those as I wanted. There is a lot of information that can be obtained in ways other than seeing your id or credit/debit card.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So well put. I appreciate them verifying that I am the same person named on the card.

Charles

wapiticountry wrote:

A large number of people print "Check ID" on the signature line of their credit card. I appreciate it anytime someone wants to see my ID when I use a card. Making a copy of ID is also common anytime you are renting or borrowing equipment. Otherwise, there is generally no need for copying identification. But stealing ID by starting with someone's driver's license is taking the long road seldom traveled. Your driver's license number doesn't give them access to much of anything. Your credit card number and the three digit verification code on the back of your card is much more valuable. Even then, you need a long line of dishonest people for a stick and brick business to be in the card stealing business. The management would either need to be in on it or not have any checks and balances in place. The card thief would need a way to monetize the number and whenever a number of different stolen cards are traced back to a single source, the RV Park in your example, the card companies and the police act quickly. Almost all ID theft occur electronically these days. Worrying about ID theft every time you make a purchase is much ado about nothing.

Need a new owner for my 2007 Winnebago View 523H on a '06 Sprinter 3500 chassis. 30k+ mi, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.
Replaced by a '08 Thor FS180 travel trailer and 2003 Ram 2500 CTD 6 spd

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.