Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why 30 amp and not 50 amp
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why 30 amp and not 50 amp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I actually prefer 30 amp to 50 amp. It is easy to add auxiliary shore power cords, which I have done for winter use. My peak load, in extreme cold, is 7700 watts.

The rest of the year I can manage on as little as 15 amps. That's great for visiting folks where power is often only 15 amps.

I do limit my consumption to 80% of what ever amperage is available to me.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipg wrote:

Why not build all RV’s with 50 amp service ? With AC, microwaves, electronic water heaters plus numerous other electrical appliances we take with us it seems to make More sense to have 50 amp

They do build 'em with 50 amps mine is proof and it's plugged into 50 amps just now at 93 degrees (official outside temp) and no shade you better believe I'm on 50 amps (2 air conditioners both workign overtime)

If you only have one A/C a bit of power management (Do not use A/C. Microwave and Water heater all at once) you should be good on 30.
Some (mostly high end 50 amp rigs) have Intelletec Energy Management Systems (EMS. one of several EMS meanings) that will shut stuff off and swap two air conditioners so one runs then the other runs then back and forth according to the program.

But if you ask. they will make any RV 50 amps.

That said. Where I'm parked just now half of the sites are 50 amps and half are 30 Every other site. So if you are a 50 amp rig and there are not 50 amp sites left. you are going to be a 30 amp rig for the stay.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipg wrote:

We have a small tt and when hooked up to power we use electric for water heater, AC, refrigerator, wife uses hair dryer TV, and cook with electric induction cook top. Why use gas when your paying for full hookups. 50 amp instead of 30 would not add that much to the cost. Maybe it could be offered as an option.

Why not use gas for the water heater? We full time and get a couple months out of a 30lb tank running, water heater, stove & oven (shorter when heat is running). If we were just weekending, it would extend out years. I'm not going to worry about saving 30c per trip in propane.

The rest of the stuff is easily accommodated. If it's hot enough to have the air running, we prefer to cook outside and will often run an extension cord to the 15amp outlet on the pedestal to run a crock pot or electric skillet.

Just not a big issue until you get into rigs with multiple air/con units. A 50amp power supply is going to do nothing to the resale of a 20ft TT...if anything it would make me leary of what other weird things have they added.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

linnemj

Eastern Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

It really comes down to manufacturing cost. The designers have a price point to meet and few pennies over thousands of units makes a difference. Once you start letting manufacturing cost creep, where do you stop it?

It's easy for us as the consumer to think "it would have cost only a few pennies or a few dollars more, I would pay that" But then each consumer has their own idea what they are willing to pay extra for. Start adding up all those extra pennies and the cost goes up and profit goes down.

I wonder if the market would pay more for improved axles and suspension, higher quality tires, better furniture and better quality control? Every new buyer doesn’t understand the value of these items but experienced buyer certainly would!

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think some people should put their house on a flatbed and then go camping. Most likely they would still cry because there's no 100 or 200 amp service.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another arrow in my power quiver is a load support hybrid inverter/charger. That allows me to run the roof air and the microwave at the same time on a 30 amp service.

My usual power path is:

shore power-->autoformer-->RV. I set the maximum input amperage to 24 (or 12 on a 15 amp source).

* This post was edited 06/20/20 05:09pm by pianotuna *

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only had RVs with 30A. I always had enough power. I wouldn't want to have to deal with the big, heavy, expensive 50A cord.
Why don't all RV's have 100 gallon freshwater tanks? Why don't they all have 3 AC units?
Why don't they all have satellite dishes and 3 flat screens?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Low price is demanded by the consumer at any cost.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Low price is demanded by the consumer at any cost.

No wonder the RV's take a year for shake down cruises.

sask66

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I like about 30 amp is that the cord is a bit more flexible and manageable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why 30 amp and not 50 amp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.