Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Over the air antenna
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Over the air antenna

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
F450

Carmel Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the best over the air antenna for reception?

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hands down, the Winegard “Batwing” Sensar IV. Just keep in mind that regardless of which you choose OTA TV is a **** shoot depending on distance from towers, trees, weather, buildings in the way.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Hands down, the Winegard “Batwing” Sensar IV. Just keep in mind that regardless of which you choose OTA TV is a **** shoot depending on distance from towers, trees, weather, buildings in the way.

X2!

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had and now do have the winegard, it gets about as many channels and any of the others (I think) I like the fact that it raises off the roof for more height. At one point I took off the winegard and replaced it with the King. I found with the King it had a little longer reach but was more picky as to direction. Then I got a rig that had the King mounted to the roof in a very bad spot. The reception was behond bad, I felt the King needed the height and in my case a better on roof location. I then went for a Antop Omni directional Attenna I found it as good as another. The nice thing was I did not have to turn it to get stations. So for me all three were as good as each other. Just remember no matter where you are or how far from a tower you will always get a PBS station.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

For RV use. this gets my vote as well.

Now you don't want to know what we put up at my dad's house other than .. Well There exists somewhere a photo of this acrophobe installing a mast head amplifier in the beast. 100' up the tower

(I may be scared of heights but I had great FAITH in my safety harness and you better believe I was harnessed. )

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

craig7h wrote:

Just remember no matter where you are or how far from a tower you will always get a PBS station.

Haha , ya, you will ! At least around my area.

That's OK though. I enjoy the PBS Create channel with shows like This Old House and the PBS kids channel usually has some cartoon on it in the morning to keep little kids entertained. Heck, they might even learn something.

snowpeke

Nevada City California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not the bat wing. All it does is get rattled in the wind. The new TV channels just need a small antenna. The wing does no good but that the little part on it does. I use the Jack antenna. Get many stations!

2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

camper19709

middletown,DE

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

X3

Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my RV it had a Winegard Batwing that was not working, I cleaned up all connections and tested to see if it was broken, it was,so I replaced it with a new bat wing then ran a Channel Scan I was not impressed with the amount of channels that I got. This was done in my driveway here in the south bay of So Calif about 30 miles from the transmitters, using my SensarPro.

I then went out and got a Wingman add on, that put my channel scan up to 85,but I had a clearance problem with the Wingman,it would hit my A/C unit when lowered.

So I opted to put a Jack Antenna on and my channel scan went up to 174

[image]

">][image]

TheJack replacement head Is Cheaper than the Winegard replacement head

I always get beat up by the techies, The debate will go on and on, but I know what works best for me,in the real world.

* This post was edited 06/26/20 10:38pm by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snowpeke wrote:

Not the bat wing. All it does is get rattled in the wind. The new TV channels just need a small antenna. The wing does no good but that the little part on it does. I use the Jack antenna. Get many stations!

Not 100% true.. Not far from me is WJBK TV-2 Detroit. they broadcast on carrier channel 7 VHF high band.. Dang near the exact length of the Batwings.
Now Channel 7.. They moved up to a UHF carrier (The shorter antennas work best on UHF)

In independent lab tests done by a fellow forum member a few years back the Winegard Sensar III outperformed the JACK on all frequencies and he did not. as I recall have the wingman installed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Over the air antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.