Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford's twin turbo 2.7 Eco-boost V6 (new and older versions)?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford's twin turbo 2.7 Eco-boost V6 (new and older versions)?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saturday DW got T-boned in her 2004 Buick Rainier and it is going to be totaled we are pretty sure. Luckily she was hit in the drivers front fender tire area, if it would have been the door, she would have been in the hospital a lot longer than the 5 hours she spent there. So we drove a lot of different SUV's yesterday. Last one was a 2015 Ford Edge Sport with the 310 HP Eco-boost and 6 speed auto. We liked the handling and performance and it fit like a fine leather glove. Today we are going to look at a 2020 with the revised 335 HP 2.7 V6 and 8 speed auto. From what I have read these engines are in F150's and other Ford vehicles also. And that Ford did not design the original 2.7 L, but was involved with the up graded version in 2019.

What do you FORD guys know about these two engines and transmissions. Mileage is a lot better than what the 5.3 V8 got in the AWD Rainier, however they call for premium gas, which cost more. I read that FORD did not have the shift programming of the 8 speed worked out very well, does anyone know if they had TSB's to address that?

Road noise is an issue also, the Rainier had a lot of sound deadening that was not in the Chevy 360 platform. Of the vehicles we drove the 2019 Tahoe and Edge were the quietest. Used Highlander and Chevy Traverse had a fair amount of road noise. And we do not need a 3 row seating vehicle.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just found this TSB 20-2190 which maybe addresses the shifting issues.

[image]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris the 150s with 2.7 have a 10-speed transmission, not sure on the edge, but would guess the same on new models.

My son went from a 3.5 150 with 6-speed to a 2.7 150 with 10-speed. He is a fast driver, uses vehicles hard, but still gets good mileage. He does not tow with it though. He likes the newer 2.7, compared to the earlier 3.5.

Jerry

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know three people with the 2.7. Two older ones and a newer one. They all report great fuel economy and no problems.

Ford does have a blurb in the manual about using premium "for best performance" but nobody that I know uses premium and they still love the performance. I use the cheapest fuel that I can find in both of my 3.5s with no issues and plenty of performance even while doing serious trailer pulling. A lot of modern engines can adapt to fuel octane and contain similar advice for best performance but still don't require premium.

The 3.5 high perfomance found in the Raptor and Limited do require premium but they are the only ecoboost engines that do.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 2016 Edge with a 2.0L 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine and a 6 speed transmission. I find it has plenty of power when I need it. It is also very quiet.

I think the 2.7L EcoBoost is "overkill" unless you are planning on towing, but the rest of the chassis only supports Class II towing. The V6 and 8 speed are only available in the Edge ST along with AWD, a premium package.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others have said, there is a difference between a vehicle that requires premium vs one that recommends it for best towing performance. I’ve had both.

We currently have a 3.5 EB in a 2019 Exp MAX. I’ve used both regular and premium in it. It usually gets just regular unless I am towing over the Rockies. I haven’t noticed any difference in MPG with the two fuels.

I do think that you comparing your old 5.3 in the Rainer vs the current generations 2.7 isn’t a fair comparison. While i haven’t checked fuelly, my guess is the current 5.3 gets significantly better MPG than yours does, and probably isn’t at a deficit to the 2.7 if you are comparing similar vehicles.

Speaking of similar vehicles, you aren’t really comparing that. The Tahoe you have looked at would be a direct competitor of the regular Expedition.

Have you looked at the Hyundai Palisade or the Kia Telluride? Personally, I’d probably look at those more than a Edge.

One final note. You should look at a Hertz dealership (associated with the car rental agency). Because of the virus, they are off loading a lot of Edge and Tahoe’s (and similar vehicles) due to the virus. As a general rule, those vehicles will be very low mileage and have been maintained to manufacturers specs. Honestly now might be the best time to buy something like that.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Like others have said, there is a difference between a vehicle that requires premium vs one that recommends it for best towing performance. I’ve had both.

We currently have a 3.5 EB in a 2019 Exp MAX. I’ve used both regular and premium in it. It usually gets just regular unless I am towing over the Rockies. I haven’t noticed any difference in MPG with the two fuels.

I do think that you comparing your old 5.3 in the Rainer vs the current generations 2.7 isn’t a fair comparison. While i haven’t checked fuelly, my guess is the current 5.3 gets significantly better MPG than yours does, and probably isn’t at a deficit to the 2.7 if you are comparing similar vehicles.

Speaking of similar vehicles, you aren’t really comparing that. The Tahoe you have looked at would be a direct competitor of the regular Expedition.

Have you looked at the Hyundai Palisade or the Kia Telluride? Personally, I’d probably look at those more than a Edge.

One final note. You should look at a Hertz dealership (associated with the car rental agency). Because of the virus, they are off loading a lot of Edge and Tahoe’s (and similar vehicles) due to the virus. As a general rule, those vehicles will be very low mileage and have been maintained to manufacturers specs. Honestly now might be the best time to buy something like that.

We liked the size and feel of the Edge we drove yesterday. It was bought down from BC Canada and all the brake rotors show rust on their hubs. DW like the color, I rejected it because of the import and rust. The 2020 ST today has 1350 miles of dealership loaner miles and is deeply discounted and I friend that use to be the sales manager at this dealership is meeting us there to maybe help with even a better price if you like it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They’re fine vehicles and engines save for that [email protected] blue oval on the grille!

Edit: Just kidding!

* This post was edited 06/22/20 12:54pm by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an 07 trailblazer with the 5.3 v8. I have a 17 f150 with the 2.7 and 6 speed. The 2.7 is light years ahead on all fronts. In the Edge it will feel like a sports car and still get very decent mileage. The low end torque is so much better than no turbo or non super charged engines. I have no brand loyalty and I specifically chose the f150 because of the ecoboost. If the new Ford Explorer wasn't so cheap on the interior we would be getting that for my wife.

Ideally I would like the Kia Telluride with the 2.7 ecoboost...

Sold - 1994 Flagstaff Cobra 206
2017 F150 SCREW 2.7 Ecoboost
2007 Honda Odyssey
Sold - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer - 5.3 & 3.42
Lund Boat

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the deal is done for the new 2020 Edge ST with the 2.7L Eco-boost. Most of the bells and whistles. No sun roof, which is great as we did not want one. This was a service dept loaner with 1500 miles on it.
List Price $44,520, we paid 35K + tax and license. Guess I will have to turn all my text to Blue!!!!

[image]

The Buick it replaced.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford's twin turbo 2.7 Eco-boost V6 (new and older versions)?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.