Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: slide vs no slide
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> slide vs no slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nobody posts about their slides unless there is an issue, so you get a biased understanding reading thru the forums. They really are pretty reliable unless you do something stupid.

Generally they work fine and the difference in space and feel is MASSIVE. Add in the difficulty in finding a non-slide unit, you would likely have to special order (with little or no discount off the MSRP) to get one.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a non slide DP for many years and never noticed it didn't have a slide. Our current DP has a kitchen living area slide and we seldom use it. I once drove a 45ft DP from CA to FL with 4 slides and even with 2 bathrooms I could not get to either with the slides in, couldn't get the refrigerator open either. But some people like to brag about how many slides they have---I can do without.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most rigs have a slide now, and everyone that has a slide seems to love them. Personally I didn't care much either way, my criteria being everything needed to be usable and accessible with slides closed (I hate those motorhomes where the bed has to be folded in half to retract the slide! How is wife going to sleep in the morning while we're cruising down the road?

I ended up with a good deal on a non-slide rig (buying used), and have no regrets. My in laws have a sweet class A with three slides and it does feel like a condo compared to our tunnel, but they also paid 5x...

I'd take a slide, but I'm perfectly happy without one.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having a slide in a TT, TC or fiver is a different ball game. I do not like them in class C's where there is no room for a header like there is in a fiver and some A's.
I would only get a slide if I absolutely needed to have more room for living space, period.
I only owned slide models that were seasonal site rvs not used over the road.
I never had a slide issue in the few I owned.
IMO, the idea is to limit issues in the field when you are going to experience a lot of downtime waiting for rv repairs and parts while on vacation. You are better off with less. If you do buy a slide model make sure you can fully use the rv in the 'IN' position.

Because normal rv things do not get done at the factory level you need to rely on a good dealer to do them.
If your dealer is not willing to take the time to tweak things up when a unit arrives at his dealership or prior to your walkthrough then you might have more problems with things in general.
A good dealer can lessen future problems, especially involving things that go in and out, have to seal, have fused motors with electrical wiring and have to align on adjustable tracks in order to function properly.

What I have seen with slides:
Some slides had wiring issues where the electrical wires became frayed.
Some slide motors are very difficult to replace , I would learn how its done before I bought one. 12v slide motors are inexpensive motors and have a tendency to quit performing on some models. There are different slide manufacturers.

I, as well as many other owners that have had them, would stay away from a slide that houses a kitchen. I do not like gas and electrical flex lines that connect things in a kitchen. Many owners had issues there.
Some slides tend to wear carpets and floors and those need to be replaced at times.

Best advice...listen to the mechanics that repair them not the salesman selling them. Doing that saved me thousands of dollars and a lot of potential down time.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A slide or no-slide depends on if you view an RV as a mobile motel room or a mobile backpack.

We view our small Class C as the latter ... hence it does not have a slide. This provides for maximum coach wall strength year after year and overall coach reliability year after year ... on or off smooth roads and close to civilization or not.

We actually got a great deal when we bought our short but heavily optioned Class C due to what I think was this reason -> the dealer had it on their lot for over a year and probably couldn't sell it because it didn't have any slides!

It's large enough inside for the DW to have a lounge chair, me to have a dinette or cab seat, and our dog-person to play short-range fetch in.

* This post was edited 06/23/20 02:43pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great opinions here. Thanks

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on not having plumbing, electrical, or gas in the slide. I have had two motorhomes with the couch and dinette in the slide. Both were Hwh hydraulic powered slides. Both rvs were 2000s, and neither has had a single bit of trouble in 20 years. My previous rv was sold to a friend, so I still know whats happening with it. Resale value is better, and easier with a slide. My brother had a TT for sale a few years ago with no slide. Almost every caller asked if it had a slide. They weren't interested in one without one. Some people will say they wont buy one with one, but I think they are in the smallest minority. I prefer slides. They make the whole rv more useable and spacious.

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 24' B+ with a small dinette slide. We really like the added room but we have had issues with it. My take- I wouldn't get a slide unless in an emergency, you can manually crank it in, which on ours, I had to crawl underneath the MH and turn the shaft with a wrench. We just left it in for the rest of the trip and fixed it when we got home. I definitely would not get a slide that blocks access to the bathroom or any area..
I would be leery of a slide that contains appliances, stove, fridge etc. Too many connections to go wrong.

F1BNorm

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We special ordered our rig in the spring of 2007. CLICK HERE TO SEE IT, a 2007 Phoenix Cruiser 2350. It is small by motor home standards. It is only 9'-10" to the top of the a/c unit, and is 23'-8" long. My point here is that it is small, yet we absolutely "Love" our rig without a slide out. We have no regrets with that decision. But our rig was selected with just the two of us in-mind for the majority of it's use, and we do plan to own it for a total of 35 years, hopefully more if we are safe enough to drive anything at the age of 85.

We looked at the negatives that just one slide out can introduce, especially with age. Here are the things I think about.

- One slide out adds roughly 500 extra pounds to what is typically a heavy rig to begin with.
- One slide out would have costed us an extra $4000.
- There is a massive hole in the wall, weakening the over-all structure. The wider the slide out, the greater the risk of the roof sagging in the middle of the hole, especially if the heavy a/c unit is in the right spot.
- The rig is especially sensitive to being level to work the slide out with care.
- Wind driven rain can puddle on top of the box. When you retract, in comes the water. You won't know it's there until you brake real hard.
- Then there is the water on the two sides. In comes wet dirty walls.
- The same goes for bugs. They too come in for the ride.
- Slide outs leak in cold when it's cold, and heat when it's hot.
- There is more volume of air to heat and cool efficiently, a common complaint in the RV industry when conditions get "testy".
- Slide outs are not as well insulated as the main wall
- A slide out reduces the size of the window in that position.
- A slide out reduces wall space by roughly 8" that would otherwise make a roomier dinette or wider couch.
- Slide outs like to rattle when the rig is being driven.
- You get significantly less storage with a slide out, from smaller over-head cabinets, to exterior compartments.
- If having a dinette in a slide out, head room can be an issue if the ceiling is lower like we have.
- There is the maintenance factor required to keep a slide out working well.
- Finally, there is the driving experience. Driving our a house without a massive box inside, it simply feels better.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Nobody posts about their slides unless there is an issue, so you get a biased understanding reading thru the forums. They really are pretty reliable unless you do something stupid.

Generally they work fine and the difference in space and feel is MASSIVE. Add in the difficulty in finding a non-slide unit, you would likely have to special order (with little or no discount off the MSRP) to get one.
My MH is 24 years old and out of all the systems in the MH it has been the most trouble free. It also has a hand crank to go in and out but I only used it once to see how it worked. Mine is electric with cables. The only real issue with a slide is making sure you have enough room in the drivers seat to slide your seat back to a comfortable position before hitting the slide out, especially if you have knee arthritis. The other thing to look for is a slide without the refer in it, they need fans to properly vent and if dry camping will use battery power, not a major issue for most campers. Slides add weight not only for the weight of the slide but the reinforcement to compensate for the cutout in the side wall. Again not an issue for most campers unless you have limited CCC. slides add much more living space especially with more than two people. Lastly most campers want slides and resale value will be higher with them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> slide vs no slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.