Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Several questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Several questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

buy a nice car, and stay in motels, the cost of repairs is out of site, time for the two of you to take life easy.

Not a bad suggestion ! If you buy an RV you will be able to justify the cost unless you use it !! The more expensive it is, the more days per year you should use it.

IMHO, a pickup truck and a TT is a more cost effective option than a Class A or Class C motorhome.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You sound exactly like the wife & I, but I still do the driving.
1. An advantage to a midsize 5W is you drop it and have a vehicle to drive around. With the class C or A you will need a second vehicle for grocery's or site seeing.

2. The 5W will be more stable in winds than a travel trailer and you don't need weight distribution hitches. As long as the trucks large enough stability's not an issue..

3. You have one vehicle to maintain not two with the C or A.

4. Backing gets easier the more you do it BUT most places have pull trough sites so you don't have to back.

5. Over all length will be shorter, no tongue like a TT, no towing a second vehicle.

Recommendations: Diesel will have more pulling power than gas but will cost a little more in maintenance, up side resales better. Don't start with a small truck get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton prices are close and it will pull most 5W's. Unless your going with a really big 5W you don't need a duel rear wheel. I prefer a crew cab, I can haul groceries inside, my service dog rides in the back seat. I can take passengers, you'll meet people you want to do things with, go to dinner or such. While shopping for the RV you want to be able to get to the fridge, bathroom, and bedroom with it entirely closed. If you can you can make a sandwich, take a potty break in a wide spot or a nap in a rest area w/o having to open everything.

I'm retired LEO from WA so PM if you have any questions.

* This post was edited 06/23/20 07:24pm by Edd505 *

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry, but I think at your ages, the last thing you want to do is to learn how to rv. Yes, it is fun, but there is work involved too. Travel by car and hotel it.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fifth wheel will require a pickup with plenty of payload capacity. If you see a couple of floor plans you like, find out the pin weight. Then look at pickups that can carry a fair bit more than that weight. You will probably be needing a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. Diesels are great for towing, but in used pickups avoid the 6.0L and 6.4L Ford diesels (the newest version, 6.7L, is okay) and personally I would also avoid the Ram hemi gas engines.

There are a few smaller, light weight fifth wheels out there that a half ton pickup could handle (Scamp comes to mind), but not many.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can stay in an aweful nice hotel a lot of nights for the cost of a rig + the maintanance that never stops

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decisions Decisions..
First the washer/Dryer.. Wife and I choose to use park laundry. Most RV parks other than "Government" parks (And even some of those) have laundry generally cheaper than the laundromat in town (I think I pay around 2-2.50 per load) and this gave us more room and more cargo carrying capacity.

Next you need to decide on Trailer, which type. or motor home.. Generally motor homes are more expensive and Big D's (Diesel) more expensive still but... There are major advantages to a Class A motor home.

The one my wife and I choose was a 37'7" class A. 3 slides (It is 13 foot wide set up) bath and a half model (2 holes no waiting as a former co-worker used to say) I'm not sure if I were re-doing it today I'd want the 3-slides but the room is nice.. Advantages of this unit. Well if I'm "on the road" and feel the need for a rest stop... And it's raining canines and felines (Dogs and cats) I do not need to go out and get wet [emoticon] and as I said with 2 holes as we drink "Foreign water" (Different from what we are used to) and well that can have er. After effets. the length of "Just a minute" depends on which side of the door you are on and with two doors NO PROBLEM.

Mine is a Gasser (Gasoline fueled) because I'm a fairly decent when a Gas Engine needs work but not expierenced on Diesels. also D's cost about double.

If buying new: 50 amp, Two (or more) 15,000 Air conditioners. not 13.5's (mine came with 13.5's but has dual 15's now)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just another guy on the interweb. I would not recommend a truck and trailer. They are a pain in the butt.especially for folks your age and one of you being a nondriver.
I would recommend a large B or small c.

cherylmagill

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, everybody. Rethinking everything...

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

you can stay in an aweful nice hotel a lot of nights for the cost of a rig + the maintanance that never stops
They are talking about being on the road months at a time. You have any idea what a hotel would cost for 120 nights; not to mention the increased cost of eating out for 360 meals. Now do that for 3 or 4 years.

You're talking $15K - $25K a year and no resale value.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget being discouraged for any of the reasons above. I am 79 and DW is 75 we both drive and we so far have not been held back by by anything. Yes listen to suggestions but don’t let any one discourage you. We only get one chance at life so get it done

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Several questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.