Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: reese hitch question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> reese hitch question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Family-of-five

Cardale Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all I am back from a long absence. Feels good. Anyhow We are camping again.My rig has reese weight distribution with trunnions bearing the marks 22210.I had them from my last camper and I am moving up to something bigger soon. I was thinking rather than buy a whole hitch why not get heavier trunnion bars.Are they interchangeable? I would like to step up to 12,000 lbs gross

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many are interchangeable, call eTrailer with your part numbers.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also ask if you can upgrade the bars the Dual Cam style with Dual Cam hangers, the extra sway control will be a welcome addition if you are going longer/heavier.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Reese DC and upgraded the trunnion bars several times, they've all been interchangeable.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Family-of-five wrote:

Hello all I am back from a long absence. Feels good. Anyhow We are camping again.My rig has reese weight distribution with trunnions bearing the marks 22210.I had them from my last camper and I am moving up to something bigger soon. I was thinking rather than buy a whole hitch why not get heavier trunnion bars.Are they interchangeable? I would like to step up to 12,000 lbs gross

I ended up buying a new head when I went from 800 lb bars to 1500 lb bars. I think it depends on how high you need to go on the new bars. I would give Reese technical support a call. I have done that numerous times and they are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Family-of-five

Cardale Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my homework and found I can use heavier bars,and they are interchangeable. I also ordered the dual cam system as advised. I like the way its set up. Anyone here use the dual cam anti sway?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the DC with my last 2 trailer. Swapped from the 800lb bars to the 1200lb bars. No problem. Just watch the hitch head. Mine had the older design head and the trunnions would contact the ball nut on hard turns. It would then force the bar down and bend the lower trunnions socket in the head. I called Reese and after I explained my displeasure they sent me a new updated head and I paid the shipping. You can tell the difference. The new design has a raised area where the ball mounts too.

The DC is the best sway control hitch out there. The only thing better are the HA and Pro Pride. I never had an issue with sway with my Excursion and 35ft TT.

BTW, welcome back!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Family-of-five

Cardale Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the 800 lb bars hit the nut or the 1200 lb bars? The trunnions look to be the same (from pictures anyway) I ordered them with assurance from etrailer they will fit. Yes very good to be back again. Thanks for the help

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure. I only had the 800lb bars for a year along with the smaller trailer.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread, stuck at the top of the Towing forum, should give you a lot of help in setting up your Reese Dual Cam system. It is an old thread but is still relevant and good today. It discusses not only the proper setting up of a WD hitch but some of the problems that people have, and the solutions, of the Dual Cam sway control system.

I towed my trailer and the trailer before it with the Reese Dual-Cam system. I never had a single problem with a sway or control event in all those years. I changed to a Hensley hitch later on because I wanted to see if all the "hype" was true. It was! [emoticon]

I continued to use the Hensley system for many years until I quit towing last year and retired our trailer to a beautiful permanent camping spot.[emoticon]

If you take the time to set up the Dual Cam system correctly you will be rewarded with many years of safe, comfortable towing. It is somewhat fussy about things being exactly right on setup but, if you take time and care, it will reward you greatly for doing so.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> reese hitch question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.