Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Honda 2200i or Honda 2200i Companion?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda 2200i or Honda 2200i Companion?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
B92F

Marion, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at buying a Honda generator and are having a discussion as to which one to get. At the moment getting both to run parallel is out of our budget.

I am assuming that either of these two can be run as a stand alone, and if that is so then is there any advantage to Honda Companion over the other? We're willing to pay the extra for the Companion if it's the better one for RV use.

2018 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W Turnover Ball
B&W 20K Companion Slider

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The companion has 1 "normal" 120v 20A outlet and 1 120v 30A twistlock outlet. You obviously can't pull 30 amps from it without having 2 generators in parallel. The "regular" Honda doesn't have the twistlock; instead it has a duplex 120v 20A outlet.
Either will work if you don't need to plug in more than 1 thing.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

The companion has 1 "normal" 120v 20A outlet and 1 120v 30A twistlock outlet. You obviously can't pull 30 amps from it without having 2 generators in parallel. The "regular" Honda doesn't have the twistlock; instead it has a duplex 120v 20A outlet.
This is what confuses me - are you saying that even though the companion has the 30A outlet, I still need two in parallel to run a 30amp camper - stuff like microwave and AC?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

This is what confuses me - are you saying that even though the companion has the 30A outlet, I still need two in parallel to run a 30amp camper - stuff like microwave and AC?

The 2200 may run some ACs if no other draw, and many microwaves, with no other draw. The reason it has the 30A connector, and is called the Companion, is it would normally be purchased as a 2nd gen, to be used with the regular 2200.

Jerry

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

The 2200 may run some ACs if no other draw, and many microwaves, with no other draw. The reason it has the 30A connector, and is called the Companion, is it would normally be purchased as a 2nd gen, to be used with the regular 2200.

Jerry
Makes sense - thanks

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not look at one Predator 3500?
Predator

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case I get by pretty good just having the ONE 2000i model. We like camping off-grid using a bigger 12VDC battery bank. Using add on power inverters we can run every ecpet the Air COnditioner. I have a second smaller microwave that will run either from the Power Inverter or Generator.

We do all we want to do in the one day/night without air conditionering and then the next morning will use my 2000i Generator for a three hours with my trailer plugged into it to charge up my batteries. I keep a close watch on the batteries and never let them get below the 12.0VDC Charge point which is appx the 50% charge state. Then after charging on the generator for three during breakfast every morning we are good to do the day/night run again off the batteries.

I can do a good week of this 50% to 90% battery bank recharge without doing damage to the batteries. Then I will do a full 100% charge rate when we get back to the house where I can go for 12-14 hours of charge if needed being plugged into the garage..

Been doing this for several years and got a good long life out of my batteries 5-6 years worth...

It all depends on what you want to do camping I guess... My 2KW Generator sits secured in the tail gate of my truck bed and gets used quite abit for camping and other emergency power needs... I just pull it out on the tail gate and fire it up... It goes where I go...

[image]
Roy's image

We are most often Creekside somewhere and keep cool just by running the on board fans etc...

[image]
Roy's image

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was edited 06/24/20 08:15am by RoyB *

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honda 2000i weight =47lbs. Predator weight =100 lbs
For us old guys that is why we purchase one or two over the other. We don't run the AC in the cooler weather so we don't need a larger genny. My preference would be to buy the Companion now and if you ever needed/wanted more the regular 2200i later.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a red Honda, i would do the companion... At least you will have the ability to plug the camper directly into the 30amp port..

If you get the regular, there is no 30amp RV port on it and you will have to use adapters...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Why not look at one Predator 3500?
Predator

If you can pick up a Predator 3500 and out it in the bed of a pickup truck, you are a lot stronger than me !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda 2200i or Honda 2200i Companion?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.