Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Snow Birds ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snow Birds ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fact is this is hitting the us hard. It's a disease not a political system. It is what it is. If the US has made poor decisions on handling it, we can only hope it's lessons learned. We all want this to be pver

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RckyMtnVia wrote:

In this topic and other Snowbird topics, the Canadians are generally trashing the USA. If you don't like our country why do you come here every winter? I could comment about Canada, but that would be political and that is not allowed on this forum. If you don't like the USA, just stay in Canada.

We are not trashing USA. Canada has by no means had a "perfect" response to covid 19. We are concerned for our USA neighbors, and not a little frightened at how close things are to being totally out of control. USA on 2020 07 07 probably will have 50,000 new cases. It also has over 1/4 of the worlds cases. We share the longest undefended border in the world with USA. The virus does not recognize that border.

BTW I would welcome your comments about Canada. If you feel they are not appropriate to the thread, please send them in a private message.

In spite of the Floyd death, there were 151 deaths by cop in June of 2020, 150 in 2019, 153 in 2018. Canada is NOT exempt from death by cop either.

Toronto, our largest city, has implemented mandatory mask wearing inside all public access buildings with few exceptions. The Canadian lunatic fringe is reacting badly to this attempt to keep them safe. The difference is that few Canadians have access to guns--so the protests are not so violent as those similar ones in USA.

As I said, in my first post to this thread, "we are all in this together". By that, I did not mean just USA and Canada, but rather the entire world.

Will I be driving down to my winter haunts in USA this year? Hardly likely as I'd be traveling through many States and at least one of them has done NADA to attempt to curtail covid.

Will I be flying down? That is possible--but only if the number of new cases starts to reduce, in the State I plan on visiting. I'm at high risk age wise. I'd rather be a live chicken than a dead duck.

My own personal belief is that Pandora is out of the box. I doubt I'll be traveling south this fall.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Medipac is covered by Manulife so be cautious. Remember that you only have coverage if your Provincial health plan is active. If Canada says you should not travel to to a certain area you would have zero coverage. I really doubt the border would be open. Most other insurers would not cover Covid. Rocky Mountain> I dont think anyone means to offend you but compared to how Canada is handling the Virus some of those states are lacking. I certainly would not travel to Arizona right now. And Mexico is even worse. Tequila might think twice about travelling in Mexico. The Virus is getting worse and the published data is really doctored. The Gov. has no money and people are starving. Crime will become even worse. Medical coverage is worthless if there is a lack of beds and Drs. Flying is an option but with no social distancing is risky.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a flight to Mexico until November. Westjet had an offer til the end of June where you could cancel and use the money in the following 3 years with no penalty so it was not a big risk. I will assess then. It would be interesting to see if they would let me across the land border into the US with a Mexican residency card claiming I was in transit, but why take the risk. I am guessing the chance of the Canada/US border being open before 2021 at about 25%. Both my partner and several friends in Mexico, (Santa Ana, Melaque & CDMX) so I am getting regular reports on how things are down there. Melaque, where I spend 6-7 months a year, seems Covid free at present, Mexico city is a mess. My partner is still planning on running caravans next season, I am trying to bring him down to earth, I don't think it will be possible, but a lot can happen in 6 months..

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

RckyMtnVia wrote:

In this topic and other Snowbird topics, the Canadians are generally trashing the USA. If you don't like our country why do you come here every winter? I could comment about Canada, but that would be political and that is not allowed on this forum. If you don't like the USA, just stay in Canada.

We are not trashing USA. Canada has by no means had a "perfect" response to covid 19. We are concerned for our USA neighbors, and not a little frightened at how close things are to being totally out of control. USA on 2020 07 07 probably will have 50,000 new cases. It also has over 1/4 of the worlds cases. We share the longest undefended border in the world with USA. The virus does not recognize that border.

BTW I would welcome your comments about Canada. If you feel they are not appropriate to the thread, please send them in a private message.

In spite of the Floyd death, there were 151 deaths by cop in June of 2020, 150 in 2019, 153 in 2018. Canada is NOT exempt from death by cop either.

Toronto, our largest city, has implemented mandatory mask wearing inside all public access buildings with few exceptions. The Canadian lunatic fringe is reacting badly to this attempt to keep them safe. The difference is that few Canadians have access to guns--so the protests are not so violent as those similar ones in USA.

As I said, in my first post to this thread, "we are all in this together". By that, I did not mean just USA and Canada, but rather the entire world.

Will I be driving down to my winter haunts in USA this year? Hardly likely as I'd be traveling through many States and at least one of them has done NADA to attempt to curtail covid.

Will I be flying down? That is possible--but only if the number of new cases starts to reduce, in the State I plan on visiting. I'm at high risk age wise. I'd rather be a live chicken than a dead duck.

My own personal belief is that Pandora is out of the box. I doubt I'll be traveling south this fall.

At least I am in BC. Winter in Regina is a frightening prospect. Bad enough here. But as you said most of us are in the higher risk group. I do wonder if this is going to spread so fast and wide, it may die down to a minimal level just because so many people will no longer be vectors (assuming those who have had it can't spread it). Sort of a semi herd immunity. Hate to say that is wishful thinking as the consequences to get there are dire.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Snow Birds ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.