Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Rear window exploded!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Rear window exploded!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know why it happened. Going down the freeway at 65 mph and the rear window shattered. I was towing a 12' enclosed trailer with V nose as I have many times before. I had the dash vents open for cool air. I can't see anyway a rock could have hit it. Anyway I need to think how to repair it. 2017 22' Gulfstream Conquest. This is also the emergency exit so I want that part to keep functioning. I don't want to replace it with glass and go through this again. I was thinking along the lines of sheet metal or fiberglass panel cut to fit in the window frame. This would retain the emergency exit as well as the window screen. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, DJ

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, twin Trojan T 145s, 400 watts solar.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An acquaintance had the same thing happen to him twice. In his case a rock was thrown forward from a front tire of the Jeep Wrangler he towed all the time.

Maybe your trailer tires are doing the same. Do your trailer tires have an aggressive tread pattern? Does one tire have a line-of-sight to the rear window? Does the style of your trailer fenders offer a means to eject a rock forward? Maybe the ejection forward hits the pavement, then ricochets up at the window.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dunno about your Gulfstream, but shattering rear windows in automobiles are a known phenomenon. If it burst into a bunch of tiny shards, it was tempered glass, which is very strong, but subject to temperature related stress shattering.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi DJ, other than this mishap , I hope all is well.
Any glass shop can make a plexiglass panel to fit your frame.

If you had the shade closed on that window, could that trap heat coming thru the tempered glass window causing it to build and shatter ? Maybe a possibility ??

Regards, Bob

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, a couple good reasons how it could have happened. Yes, the shade was down and yes, this was the first trip towing the trailer with new tires. After 2 flats with the original China Pops I replaced them with LT truck tires and they do have an aggressive tread. Next stop, the glass shop. Now if I could just quit getting stuck with the darn thing. It is NOT a 4X4 Truck Camper like I had all my life!! $30K for a 4X4 conversion or $200 for traction panels. Guess which one DW says I can have!!! Thanks guys, this forum rocks!!

BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Any glass shop can make a plexiglass panel to fit your frame.

Look for scratch-resistant plexiglass if you take this approach.

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would replace with either Lexan (polycarbonate) or Plexiglas (acrylic). Lots of choices in color or tint. Pluses and minuses for both, but both are tougher than tempered glass. See: https://www.piedmontplastics.com/blog/ac........ycarbonate-understanding-the-differenceshttps://www.piedmontplastics.com/blog/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate-understanding-the-differences

F1BNorm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Rear window exploded!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.