Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When I'm driving do I run my fridge on propane or electric?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> When I'm driving do I run my fridge on propane or electric?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/20 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

noteven wrote:

Switch to electric 12 volt.

OP didn't say if his fridge is 2-way (propane / 120 VAC) or 3- way (propane / 120 VAC / 12 vdc)

How would I know? Fridge has a "gas" or "auto" option so I'm guessing two way.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2006 coach my Dometic fridge has the gas/auto button. If it is set to auto it will run on 110V when plugged in and then "automatically" run on gas when not. The gas draw from the fridge is very low. Some like to always have it run on gas. If you toggle the button to "Gas" it will not change over when plugged in.

Unless you have a brand new trailer or an extremely old one, I don't believe 12V is an option.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoops, I have to apologize. I have an Airstream and thought I was responding on the Airstream forum. This is how Airstreams are set up, as far as the 12V option. They are bringing them back on some of the smaller units.

I don't know much about other trailers but I do understand that the 12V option is more available on them. Sorry if I confused you.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@RvShrinker
Yes with choices of Auto or Gas you have a 2 way refrigerator. While we like to debate and offer ideas and solutions, you have already answered your own question. You stated that you have already run for 4 days on Propane so you will easily make it two days.

Yes the refrigerator on gas does draw a small amount of power and your tow vehicle will easily keep up with that draw. You are not trying to charge the batteries from dead through the 7 blade adapter. You're using a tiny amount of 12v power to power the board in the back of the refrigerator. Your tow vehicle starter battery is sufficient for this and your alternator will charge that battery back up if it starts getting low.

Your refrigerator does not have the 12v battery draining option that people are referring to.

Charge the batteries before you leave for the trip. Turn all appliances onto propane. Go have fun.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> When I'm driving do I run my fridge on propane or electric?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.