Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: dry docking and charging
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> dry docking and charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
guscampag

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a small travel trailer and have set it up with (2) 6-volt batteries for drydocking. When I arrive to a destination and the batteries are fully charged, we do not use much electricity and the batteries will remain charged for about 5 days. I will then charge with my 3000 Watt Champion Inverter Generator. The problem is that even after running several hours and the gauge showing a full charge, the batteries will only last about a half day and need recharging. I don't understand what is happening here. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
thanks.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guscampag wrote:

I will then charge with my 3000 Watt Champion Inverter Generator.
Please clarify this statement..are you powering a converter, or does the generator have a 12v outlet?

bigorange

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you running the batteries all the way down? It will take longer to get them back to full charge If you fully discharge them. I’d run the generator a little more frequently than 5 days to top them off more effectively.

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are charging using the built in converter, it will charge about the first 70% in just a couple hours, to finish takes much longer. Thats one more reason so many folks love even a small amount of solar. You can get most of the way in a couple hours off the genny, and then let the solar take all day topping off.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your charging voltage. You need 14.2+ volts on the battery or you are looking at 12 to 24 hours to be fully charged. Many only go 13.6 even when labeled as multistage converters. WFCO is especially notorious at this.

Consider a replacement like this:

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9260C-148-60-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What gauge are you looking at? The little Full - 2/3 - 1/3 red light gauge? If so, that thing is useless. It's looking only at voltage. The voltage is high anytime the converter/charger is operating. An actual battery gauge that uses a shunt like those made by Tri-metric, Magnum, and others will give you 0 - 100% reading of what's in the batteries.
Some RV converter/chargers are notoriously bad. Most people don't really do much camping off the grid thus they don't need a good charger thus the RV builders don't install a good one to save cost.
Don't use the 12v output from your generator. It is also useless. Plug the RV into the generator just like plugging into an outlet and let the build in converter/charger do it's job no matter how poor it may be.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

new convertor/charger is needed

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

new convertor/charger is needed

And a real gauge, make sure you don't take your battery bank down lower than 60%.
12.6/7=100%
12.5=90%
12.4=80%
12.3=70%
12.2=60%
If you went 5 day's that'd prolly be lower than 60%. There is a lot of info on this forum in different places for charging and good use practices. The options for charging types and battery banks are as wide as the world. Choosing what is best for you takes time and trials.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daily full recharging is best for deep cycle batteries, not what you are doing. An adequate solar system would eliminate the generator use almost every day.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This year we have been boon docking quite a bit, and so we picked up a couple of 130 watt solar panels to look after our two Trojan T105 6v golf cart batteries. They work great for me. We have to chase the sun a few times a day, but no big deal.

We have been usually down to 70% or so when I check the battery controllers in the morning, and it only takes a few hours to get them back to 100% again on a nice clear day. Mine even charge on cloudy days, but of course not nearly as well as on a sunny day.

I have a 2000 watt gen/inverter for those nasty days. We were set up for 14 days, and used the generator only once initially to get things going. We also have a couple of small 100 watt USB inverters to charge our electronics in the trailer.

The beauty of these solar panels is that they automatically stop when the batteries are 100% at which point they go into a maintenance mode similar to a battery tender. Just have to check the water level in the batteries now and then to make sure the plates are covered.

I have no idea if the performance that I have seen is typical, but I sure am happy with the results for our purposes.

2013 Wilderness 2750RL
2018 GMC Denali 3500HD with Duramax
2013 Tundra Limited 5.7l Tow Package
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> dry docking and charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.