Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2019 Dodge Durango with tow package? am I making a mistake?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Dodge Durango with tow package? am I making a mistake?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rival178 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Much depends on how much use the TT will see. These ultra light TT get that way by giving up sturdy construction. They are flimsy. But if you will be using the TT a couple of weeks a year only on good roads then they may work until you outgrow the RV. On the other hand taking one of those down a rough backcountry road is contraindicated. Or on a 9000 mile cross country expedition.

The OP has fixated on the Durango before he ever posted this and was just looking for affirmation of his fabulous decision. He is not receptive to criticism and will not change his mind, period. This is common behavior.

Actually, we believe we have moved on from the Durango thanks to the this thread. Still has to be an SUV, but looking at Tahoe and QX80 now.
The longer the wheel base the more stable the towing. I would be looking at a Expedition or Suburban for what your wanting to do. To short of wheel base and it can be the tail wagging the dog.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Durango will do fine with the family and a 25ft TT. No need to be scared off by everyone telling you to buy a 3/4 ton truck or only buying a PuP. The Durango has a long enough wheel
Base for a 25ft TT. And with the Hemi it will tow it without issue.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a 2011 Tahoe, it’s only 116 inches in the wheelbase. Our TT is 31 ft long and 7,200 lbs loaded. It is absolutely fantastic as a Tow Vehicle and as a Family Vehicle.

You are right about finding one with the HD towing package. It’s nearly impossible and the factory Trans cooler is small anyway. I just looked for one that was in good condition and added the trans cooler myself. I was ready to change the rear axle ratio but the 3:08’s have worked out great.

I tow all the time with it. I tow my TT and I tow my Father in Laws 24 ft Pontoon trailer. We just completed 820 plus mile round trip with it towing our TT and had a wonderful time.

The 5.3l has more than enough power and the 6 speed is just about perfect for towing. My truck has 3:08 gears and it works great IN TOW HAUL mode. I have no problem getting up to or maintaining speed.

I’m a tinkerer and will change things to accomplish my goal. I had to spend some $$ to make the Tahoe rock solid as a tow vehicle.

1) tires- I changed the squishy P tires to General Grabber ATS LT load range E. I air them to 44 PSI While towing.
2) Transmission Cooler- I added a Hayden 33,000 GVWR cooler. My trans temps stay well below 190° - typically at 176°
3) Well dialed in round bar WD hitch and dual friction sway control
4) self imposed speed limit of 55 MPH
5) Close attention to weights. My tongue weight is 850 lbs with the hitch... I weigh it.
6) pack the trailer and not the truck. All the truck carries is the tongue weight and the people weight.
7) highly detailed attention to maintenance on the TV and the TT

Getting this rig into and out of gas stations and other tight situations is so much easier than our last rig. (CC, LB, dually)

Works great for us. YMMV, etc etc etc.

[image]

Thanks and good luck with your search.

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, from a quick Google search:

Tahoe has a wheelbase of 116". Durango is 119.8". QX80 is 121.1".

Tahoe payload is 1698 - 1745 pounds. Durango payload is 1412 - 1924. QX80 is 1459 - 1621.

Tahoe towing capacity is 6400 - 6600 pounds. Durango is 6200 - 8700. QX80 is 8500.

By the numbers, the Durango will be a better tow vehicle than a Tahoe. And about equal with the QX80.

And all of them are capable of towing a 5500 pound TT. You don't need a 2500 truck.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rival178 wrote:

garyp4951 wrote:

You are going to out grow your first trailer in a year or two, so why not get a crew cab pickup with added storage room in the bed.

This will be my wife's daily driver. A truck is not an option.

Matt

Then I would make the Durango, or Tahoe work out for you.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ my wife hated trucks until i bought mine. she got an explorer 9 moths after i got my truck. in that time she had flipped completely to wanting a truck instead. only reason she didnt get it was because the lot where she works is tiny. in hindsight should have bought another truck. cheaper to buy, insure, fuel, and really better at almost everything. only downside is 1 less seatbelt (that we have used onces in the 3 years we have had it.

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2019 Dodge Durango with tow package? am I making a mistake?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.