Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A Minor Consequence of Touch Screen Technology
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A Minor Consequence of Touch Screen Technology

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own 3 devices having touch screens: two tablets and a smart phone (I guess I could also include the in-dash display screen in my vehicle). My one non-touch screen device is my PC.

Here;s the situation: When using my PC I will often attempt to manipulate the screen with my finger as if it was a touch screen. It will then take me a few moments to realize it's not going to work. I guess that's a normal response for some of us. [emoticon]

Anyone else facing that issue, or am I the only one?

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My screen is to far away to touch,but the mouse is easy to grab. I did check out the touch screen monitors a while back but didn't care for them.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem, but in reverse.
I am old fashion along with being older than dirt, and have a flip phone, and nothing that is touch screen except my new Toyota Tacoma.
Every time I point out something on the screen, to my wife, like the temperature, the darn thing changes to some strange thing like "blue tooth".
I only have a few teeth left as it is and I sure as heck don't want any of them blue !

Guy

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am close to Guy here. While I have been around this stuff since the beginning, I still fight to do things that used to be possible with key-strokes as opposed to letting go of the keyboard to find the mouse. The worst was my new laptop is one that can also be a tablet. The other day while trying to point out something to my wife, I touched the screen.... It took way too long to get back to where I wanted it to be.
Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a big fan of the touch screen in my vehicle. The big "distracted driving, don't use your cell phone or we will all die “ doesn't hold a candle to the display in your car. Does one need six different functions just to adjust the HACV system? And you have to look at the screen every time you touch it.

* This post was edited 06/28/20 10:11am by an administrator/moderator *

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one in our Edge if I get near it will do things of its own mind it seems. Try to dial the phone or push the indicated keyboard ad I might get navigation and so on. Maybe my knuckls get too near it.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have actually tried to increase the font size of our hard copy newspaper by using the “stretch” gesture.

It doesn’t work. [emoticon]

I guess it’s broken.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Chromebooks Some of 'em have (or had) touch screens, Sadly those did not like the coffee I fed 'em and the replacements do not.
Sometimes I like the touch screen. Normally I do not.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I'm gad to see I'm not alone. (:

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also learned a long time ago to never touch the screen on the boss’s laptop if I wanted to live a long, happy life. I’m not talking about the boss at work, I’m talking about THE BOSS.......SWMBO....... That woman I live with.

She was the first one to get a personal laptop. Some ancient Apple thing with a mono LCD screen. Not a touch screen. I had been using similar equipment at work for some time, and was familiar with how the image would distort around the tip of your finger if you touched the screen. It looked like ripples in water. I though it was cool looking, so I showed her what happens when you touch the screen. [emoticon]

What happened was I realized I could only do that four more times and I’d have to learn how to do everything with just my left hand. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> A Minor Consequence of Touch Screen Technology
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.