Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Disconnect Power When Using Generator?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Disconnect Power When Using Generator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they are having power issues, they may have power coming on and off as they restore it. Better to wait until its a constant good power before you reconnect your RV.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Safety. Because if only legitimate electrician's worked on electrical systems and did everything to code, there is the chance of a malfunction and a worker encountering back feed from a generator.
Many people that work on RV's are not electricians nor do they have any clue what the code is. The things I've seen... Some people think it is perfectly acceptable to modify an extension cord so it has a male connector on each end. plug one end into your little generator and the other into any outlet on your camper and every electrical appliance running off of that breaker will work. AND power will be fed back into the pedestal and every other one on that breaker. It is likely at that point the breaker on the generator will continually kick. But what happens when the campground workcamper opens up a nearby pedestal to look for a bad connection when he knows the breaker for that loop has been turned off? And he grabs a wire just when extension cord guy resets the breaker on the generator?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

The park just doesn’t want every RV in the place to switch back to campground power at the same time when it returns. If people have to manually have to reconnect it spreads the load.
While you are correct... I understand that typically generator gets priority so I believe RVs would remain isolated until the generator was shut down.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

wnjj wrote:

The park just doesn’t want every RV in the place to switch back to campground power at the same time when it returns. If people have to manually have to reconnect it spreads the load.
While you are correct... I understand that typically generator gets priority so I believe RVs would remain isolated until the generator was shut down.

I guess that makes sense in that the “normal” use doesn’t require energizing the relay coils full time, however much like unplugging you wouldn’t have an easy way to know the power was restored. I suppose you could have some circuits that only connect to shore power and/or a tattle tale indicator for shore power.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Disconnect Power When Using Generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.