Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Flashlights
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flashlights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago my wife bought a Costco pack of flashlights. One of them is amazing. It takes C cell batteries but it has an adjustable lens that can tighten up the beam of light which is already amazingly bright. I rarely use this light. It is just way more powerful than needed.

For walking in the dark the flashlight that really works is the one you have with you. I second the recommendation for Harbor Freight flashlights. You can get them for about $1. They put out plenty of light and I have never had one fail. They run for a great many hours on a set of batteries. I also like the fact that they are simple. One click and the light goes on. Click again and it turns off. Sounds simple but it seems a great many LED flashlights are way more complicated with low beam, high beam, and intermittent settings. You need to push the switch many times just to get the unit to turn on and then off.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 bucks at Loves plus a battery and recharger from Batteries + BULBS

They look somethign like this
https://survivalmerchant.com/products/military-grade-tactical-led-cree-xml-t6-3000-lumens-5-mode-flashlight-get-2-for-only-19-95?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwxev3BRBBEiwAiB_PWG2DMnDoAsA6kzREGsR_M_kTf1j0bfT_c7RsVz-AEsE9ng0aSRdWGRoCGLQQAvD_BwE

Come with a holder or 3 AAA cells that work too.

Various brightness one of mine (Genuine TAC light) is 1200 one (Do not know) from Loves, and one I gave away is 800 (Bought it for someone else) all work well though one of mine sometimes changes modes when I don't want it to.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

I just bought a 3-pak of flashlights today at Costco. $14.00 and change. Had them before and they work great. Uses 4 AAA batteries. Great for camping. If one of the grandkids drops one, no big deal. I'm through with expensive flashlights.

I bought these about a year ago and they work really well. We'll be making a Costco run in a week or so and I plan on getting another set just so I can have one handy where ever I am.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Maglite AAA LED one on my keychain. We have 2 ancient AA Maglights in our hiking packs that I put LED bulbs in and run lithium batteries. My truck light is a 3-cell Maglight.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a big fan of headlamps as well. Fenix makes good headlamps and Coast-Portland makes nice flashlights but get the aluminum ones/ not the plastic ones. I have had good Luck with the above without breaking the bank.

2002 HO 6spd LB QC 4x4. Edge Juice w/Att 4" str8 pipe AFE int Skyjacker D25 springs w/10" Fox Shox 2.0 Thuren track bar PSC Steering box w/DSS. Fox Steering Damper w/custom mount.

2003 Rampage 33TB
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't considered the head lamps, though I don have a couple of old miners carbide lamps. [emoticon]
We use the lights around here and need a bit of range to reach the tree line, whenever we hear suspect activity.
I found and revived a light we bought at Costco a few years ago that holds 9 AA batteries and is 1,000 lumens.
The five thousand lumens and more would be outstanding. i find that everyone is offering high power flash lights now with four or more leds that supposedly add up to five thousand and ore lumens but they don't.
That takes about 35 watts in a rechargeable battery a lot more in common Alkaline batteries. Resistance in the battery eats up power.
A large single led i don't remember the designation can put out areal 5,00-6,000 lumens depending on batteries and regulator and heat sink.
5,000 lumens ain't cool, it's a hot fire.
All the "Puffing" or lying in advertising makes choice hard. So you Guys have bought some good flash lights. See soem good info here.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that most of the lower-cost, generic flashlights (of which there are tons on the internet shopping sites) greatly exaggerate their output. A good brand will specify "ANSI lumens" which means that model of light has been tested in a calibrated light sphere for actual output.

Another thing about cheap generics is that they tend to use the harsher blueish LEDs, 6000 degrees Kelvin or even higher (if they don't say the color temp, figure it's blue). I like to get lights that have color temps anywhere from 2700K (similar to incandescent bulbs) to no higher than 5000K (neutral white). A few makers (like Zebralight) even offer "high CRI" (color rendering index) LEDs, which show colors of illuminated objects most faithfully and pretty consistent with the full spectrum of sunlight.

A good light will also be more shock resistant, usually, than a budget variety light.

If someone wants just simple on-off and no modes, they won't like any of the lights I like. The Sofirn SP36, for example, will ramp continuously from about 1 lumen to 5000 lumens; it remembers the last setting the next time you turn it on; it has shortcuts (hold the button down for low, or double-click for high), flashing modes, electronic lockout, battery state of charge readout, and more. The commonly used settings are easy to remember, but for anything fancy I have to refresh my memory with the manual!

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I buy about 10 of those $1 things at Wal Mart and toss them when they dim. Can't buy batteries that cheap

I kinda do the same thing. Except I will add batteries to them when they get dim. But, if I lose them or some kid breaks it I figure I am not out very much.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

You can't go wrong with a Maglite.

For me Maglite is about 50/50.

I worked nights for most of my working time, always carried a Mini Mag on my belt. After several years the switch started to fail. I bet the last 10 years I have bought 6-7 of them. Last one I bought was bad out of the package. Plus all of the canvas holsters stitching when they switched from the leather pulls out in about 3 months.

No more Mini Mags for me, but after several months I'm still reaching for it. Retired 5 years ago.

Now the 2 and 4 cells I have had good luck with, beat the heck out of them and kept working. I think I may have had one go bad and the other I dropped when I was changing the batteries, and it landed on the open end of the tube.

* This post was edited 06/30/20 05:52pm by an administrator/moderator *

Larry-D

Middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Streamlight Lightbox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flashlights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.