Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Conversation with Goodyear about Marathon tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Conversation with Goodyear about Marathon tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our recent to us 5er has 1 Endurance and 3 Marathons mounted. I am well aware of the issues with Marathons and they will be replaced shortly.
2 of them are early 2016 and the other is late 2015 manufacture. I don't know if they were intended to be an "upgrade" at some point. The unit is a 2014 so not original. It's a FR product, I can't imagine that they used them as OEM but maybe.
I went out yesterday to get the DOTs and went on GY's website to see about any possible assistance. Their own website stated that the DOT numbers were not recognized as Goodyear products. I thought that was funny, so I called. No luck on the assistance, imagine that. I never stated that I had bought them nor was it asked.
Another weird thing was that in several places max pressure is listed as 65 psi when the tires themselves clearly state 80 psi. I wonder how many blowouts that caused when someone let it get any lower than that.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Our recent to us 5er has 1 Endurance and 3 Marathons mounted. I am well aware of the issues with Marathons and they will be replaced shortly.
2 of them are early 2016 and the other is late 2015 manufacture. I don't know if they were intended to be an "upgrade" at some point. The unit is a 2014 so not original. It's a FR product, I can't imagine that they used them as OEM but maybe.
I went out yesterday to get the DOTs and went on GY's website to see about any possible assistance. Their own website stated that the DOT numbers were not recognized as Goodyear products. I thought that was funny, so I called. No luck on the assistance, imagine that. I never stated that I had bought them nor was it asked.
Another weird thing was that in several places max pressure is listed as 65 psi when the tires themselves clearly state 80 psi. I wonder how many blowouts that caused when someone let it get any lower than that.

I was on a trip from Calif to Wash early April with my Wells Cargo trailer. Total weight was about 6500 lbs. I had the trailer built and it came with 5 marathons, one a spare. The trailer is 3 years old, and had about 4000 miles on it so the tires are new and stored covered when not in use. I had a tire separate about 500 mi into my trip North. Had to put the spare on and it turns out these tires are 4 year from manufacture date. I have no confidence on the others. In layton UT I purchased a GY Endurance 10 ply and put that on the ground and got to Wash. I will be buying the other 3 soon. Maybe the spare as well. I never called Gy on the issue because I just don't want to get my blood pressure up.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Max PSI is based on load rating. A load range D is 65 PSI while a E rated tire is 80 PSI.
Tires can be the same brand and type but have different load rating

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do your self a favor and get the GY ENDURANCE installed ASAP!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rwess

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1996 Nomad, my 1999 Innsbruck and my 2000 Fleetwood Terry all came with Goodyear Marathons. They were great tires. Never had any problems with any of them. Checked pressure regularly, but not before every trip. Never had a blowout or flat. I do not know what happened to them after that. I heard that manufacture of them shifted to China, but because of quality that GY brought them back for manufacturing in the US. I have had two blowouts on Chinese tires on some of my newer campers. Just put GY Endurance on my current camper last year. So far so good.

rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If GY doesn'trecognize the DOT numbers, I wonder if your tires are not genuine Goodyear tires (fakes, knockoffs)? Those far east factories are known to do that with many items. Stick a brand name on a product that doesn't meet the brand's specs, sell it for more money than it's worth, buyer gets the brown end of the stick.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

China would never do that. I mean they did 100% copy the BMW X series SUV and Land Rovers... but tires? No way.

/s

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My years in Az. broke me of ever buying another ST tire. The last set made it 2 year and all 6 seperated at the same time. Craig

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the solution to a defective Goodyear product is to buy... another... Goodyear(!?!) product? Sounds like they got you coming and going.

If I had such a bad experience with Goodyear Marathons, I would not give Goodyear another dime of my money, that's for sure.

Ford/Chevy/Dodge guys turn against their favorite truck brands over a LOT less.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

It’s not surprising that Goodyear denied any knowledge of producing the Marathon tires! [emoticon] memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Conversation with Goodyear about Marathon tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.