Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hood Cover for Ford E450
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Hood Cover for Ford E450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
hanknjoyce

Custer, SD

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a 2019 Phoenix Cruiser on a 2018 Ford E450 chassis. I am looking for a hood cover (not a whole RV cover) for those occasional hailstorms. It has Diamond Shield on part of the hood but the uncoated part of the hood took a couple small dings during a recent moderate hail storm. A full RV cover does not work where we live due to high winds, high UV and high owner's age..[emoticon]

I have tried Camping World, local Ford dealer and a couple aftermarket places with no success. Does anyone have a suggestion/source?

Hank
2019 Phoenix Cruiser Model 3100
Class B Plus

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would rubber floor mats (not sure exactly what type/style) laid across the hood cover it to mitigate the hail stone hits?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I’ve ever seen a hood cover in particular.
If you think that clear film protects it adequately, just clear bra the whole hood. It’s pretty easy to do on large relatively flat surfaces.
I don’t believe that will prevent damage from large hail though.
Easiest, cheapest, most secure method I can think of is buy a roll or sheet of magnetic material, if your hood is steel. Cut to size, done.
Anything that moves around will scratch your hood in the wind.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get some foam padding from a carpet store , cut it to size and use webbing straps to secure it.

you can buy pre-made or webbing strap in bulk length and buckles of the appropriate width separately.

webbing strap w/buckles

hanknjoyce

Custer, SD

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both are good ideas - Thanks. It occurred to me after posting that I could try a small tarp I have with some type of cushioning underneath to avoid chafing. The problem with getting too creative is we are 50 miles from a metro area with buying options so (in the age of Coronavirus and trying to limit contact with shoppers) we have to make do with we have. I am kind of surprised there is no market for this type product. I know bras get a bad rap for damaging paint if you drive and they move around.

FYI I Used to use a swimming pool cover on my previous 29' Class C when we lived in Maryland..but no real wind or UV issues. And I was a lot younger. Worked great.

Hank
2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100
Custer SD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hanknjoyce wrote:

The problem with getting too creative is we are 50 miles from a metro area with buying options so (in the age of Coronavirus and trying to limit contact with shoppers) we have to make do with we have.

I don't understand this logic. Not by choice, I end up buying most "stuff" online anyways.
Of course you can strap a tarp to it. My presumption was you wanted something you could easily install and leave on long term without issue with wind or water damage to it or the paint.

Is the hood steel or not?

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Packing/Moving blankets from Lowe's are pretty heavy with built-in padding. Could just release hook latch and put blanket over hood and lower it backdown to secure in place when parked.

hanknjoyce

Custer, SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A customer on Amazon just suggested using the "mag vinyl" like used for car door signs - wind proof and paint safe. I called my local print shop and can buy a piece/pieces to fit and they are only 1/2 mile from my house. I shall see how it works out before getting moving blankets and/or rubber mats.

Thanks for the help.

Hank
2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100
2012 Honda CRV Toad

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In '88 we got caught in a hail storm in our new Mallard. There were a lot of dings in the aluminum roof and a couple on the E-350 hood. Over time those dings leveled out some and the ones in the hood almost disappeared, you had to look to find them.

Dusty

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Magnetic sheet is the ticket I think.
Just make sure your hood is not aluminum. Idk if new Ford Vans are Al or not. Many vehicles are now, including many Ford models.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Hood Cover for Ford E450
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.