Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Black Water Accident
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Black Water Accident

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/03/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a black tank rinser on latest trailer but have yet to use it.

Never had it on previous trailers and never needed it.

Indeed a great concept but keeping black tank wet works marvelously.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/04/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

I have a black tank rinser on latest trailer but have yet to use it.

Never had it on previous trailers and never needed it.

Indeed a great concept but keeping black tank wet works marvelously.

Never having used it, you have no way to know if you ever needed it. I use a clear section between my stinky slinky and the RV so I can see "stuff" coming out of the tank. Just pulling the handle lets it flow freely. When the flow stops, I turn on the tank rinse. I always get more solids out. Not a lot, but enough. If I had never done that, I would have thought that I never needed it either.


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/04/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

kellem wrote:

I have a black tank rinser on latest trailer but have yet to use it.

Never had it on previous trailers and never needed it.

Indeed a great concept but keeping black tank wet works marvelously.

Never having used it, you have no way to know if you ever needed it. I use a clear section between my stinky slinky and the RV so I can see "stuff" coming out of the tank. Just pulling the handle lets it flow freely. When the flow stops, I turn on the tank rinse. I always get more solids out. Not a lot, but enough. If I had never done that, I would have thought that I never needed it either.

Ditto on the clear extension.
It is amazing how much more stuff comes out with a rinse. And I always have a wet tank, also.


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

jpmyers

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/04/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea Bobbo! I have the clear 90s on both of my tank outlets and have another for the exit end of my hose. I would like to find a clear Y but the opaque I have is sufficient.

I use the built in BWT flush nearly every time I dump my BWT. As Bobbo described, I open a dedicated hose to the flush after dumping had become a small trickle. My difference is that I'll close off the BWT valve and let the flush run for 3 minutes, then open. I'll do that for an many cycles as it takes to get a clear, "chunk-free" stream.

I am looking to put more clear pieces into my system. Anything that gives me a better indication of having properly cleaned my tanks, to me, is worth the time, effort and expense.

That said, anyone know if a good resource for RV plumbing supplies?


Jerry & Pamela
2020 Highland Ridge Silverstar ST324RLS-38' Tag-A-Long
2020 1500 w/Max Haul package & Airlift air bags.


CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/05/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what if a little "Stuff" stays in your black tank . As long as you keep a little water in the tank to keep it moist the "Stuff" will come out the next time you dump. I never try to get mine perfectly clean and I've had this, made in 1993, TT for 10 years now.

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/05/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

So what if a little "Stuff" stays in your black tank . As long as you keep a little water in the tank to keep it moist the "Stuff" will come out the next time you dump. I never try to get mine perfectly clean and I've had this, made in 1993, TT for 10 years now.


LOL, I never did get the perfectly clean black tank either?


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/05/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you store the trailer in a garage, it sure is nice to have all the stuff out of the tank.





Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/06/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pmlevine wrote:


Well, there is a waste drain at each campsite, so no, I am not making other folks wait while I try to jet rinse the black tank. This model TT came equipped with a built-in jet rinse for the black tank. There is a separate, dedicated hose port on the TT specifically for the jet rinse. I only use the jet rinse after first draining the black tank, then the grey tank. The jet rinse is done with only the black valve open, and is the last thing I do before leaving the campsite.
So I also don’t understand why BurpMan does not like the idea of hooking up a hose from the campsite water supply to the separate jet rinse port on the TT.


I do the same thing. Empty tanks...flush black tank using the rinse port...close valve and let run for a minute to put a few gallons of fresh water into the tank so it doesn't run dry. Simple and certainly no risk to the water system of the campground.

jpmyers

Texas

New Member

Joined: 06/24/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/01/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I've got a good one. I was flushing my BWT. I normally stay with it and will close the black water valve for no more than 3 minutes for the tank flush to do it's thing. However, on the 5th flush, I got to "multi-taking." The next thing I know, water is pouring down the sides of my RV. I can't imagine how bad this would have been had it occurred during the 1st flush! This rig is less than a month old. From what I can tell, nothing penetrated into the walls as the crevice seals seen to have done their job.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/01/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jpmyers wrote:

Well I've got a good one. I was flushing my BWT. I normally stay with it and will close the black water valve for no more than 3 minutes for the tank flush to do it's thing. However, on the 5th flush, I got to "multi-taking." The next thing I know, water is pouring down the sides of my RV. I can't imagine how bad this would have been had it occurred during the 1st flush! This rig is less than a month old. From what I can tell, nothing penetrated into the walls as the crevice seals seen to have done their job.


Trying to get my head around this and sorry but had to laugh.
You saying you filled the black water tank above capacity and it ran out the roof vent and down the sides of trailer ?
Say it isn't so.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Black Water Accident
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.